Adirondack Bears (Update)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Just thinking about the new bear canister regulations for parts of the Adirondack High Peaks, I wonder about bear activity so far this year.

Any reports of bear encounters/incidents/raids this year in bear hotspots around Marcy Dam, Lake Colden and Flowed Lands, up the Johns Brook Valley, etc.?

G.

We were up at Bushnell Lean-to 1 in near John's Brook this past weekend (6/18-19) and did not encounter any bears. We passed a couple of rangers who informed us that bear activity was at a minimum. There was another couple in the site with us that had a bear canister... the only concern with that was if a bear tampered with it that they wouldnt be able to locate it in the morning. Our food was hung between two trees 25 off the ground... no problems, though bear canisters are a must after July 5th. This does not mean they are not out... I am interested to hear about Colden or Marcy Dam if anyone else has been up there.

Regards,
Justin

Tuesday night I stayed at the Uphill Brook Leanto and my bearbag was unscathed, however, it did rain throughout the night, so that might have been a contributing factor. The leanto journal had reports of bears getting into bearbags. Also, Tuesday afternoon I ran into a group of three on Marshall who had had their bear bag raided Monday night at Lake Colden.

--TEO

Lean-tos and bears

I suggest camping "at large"! I have had several bear (as well as other animals like mice and pine marten) encounters in the Adirondacks, but only at lean-tos.

when I camp "at large" I never have a problem. I never even "bear bag" my food. I know I will get criticized for printing this, but this is my experience.

I was up at panther gourge lean-to on 6/20 bivied on the 21st from a hanging tent on the gourge side cliffs of marcy and then in the slant rock lean-to on the 22nd. We then exited over haystack to elk lake via panther gourge trail. While we hiked we did not see any bear sign(prints or scat) and we are looking. This was a little disterbing,I for one enjoy seeing the bears and have not given the Bears food in some time (14 years). The carrying of a bear can will not solve the problem unless the DEC establishes a way for the novice to afix the can to a stationary object, and this must be away from the lean-to The chances are that they will still cook directly in front of the shelter.So then there food scent will be acrosss an even larger area.There is no Final salotion,I,ve often thought bear valts near the lean-tos say 1/4 ml. away onthe trail to the lean-to could help. There are some that would see this as a trash can. I to perfer to camp "at large" and do not bag my food.There are many who frown upon this they have not seen me fight for my food. If you step up to the bully,the bully loses sight of its objective . I will apolojize in advance as I am sure most do not see this as rational behavior I do belive that when the bears stop thinking of us as pray/food source most of the problems will subside.this again is just the abstract ranting of a mad man.