Adjusting Mountainerring boots to problem foot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sun=electric

Reaction score
My left foot has a mild bunion problem with the slight protruding of the bone. I have Vasque Aplinista boots and would like to use a stretcher like I use in any leather shoes or boots. Does anyone have a similar problem and if so have they tried any tricks that worked to shape the boot some. The Alpinista has no leather. I thought of putting in the stretcher and then warming the boot with a temperature controlled heat gun. I don't want to cook the boot.

I dont know about the thinner shelled mountain boots, but one can certainly use a heat gun to shape ski boots. Its tricky, and you can end up fixing one problem only to create another. Thats what happened when I had some telemark boots "widened".

Have you considered taking a very thick moleskin patch, cutting the right size hole in the center of it, and putting that patch on your foot with the protrusion centered in the hole?

you can have leather or plastic stretched. unfortunately the Super Alpinista is a "patented 4 layer composite" that doesn't sound like it will lend itself to reshaping.

I used these guys to have a pair of plastics stretched.
They'll custom fit boots you buy there. You could email them and say you're interested if they sell the Super Alpinista and if they can be fitted.

Try going to a really good ski shop. They have industrial stretchers and they might be able to help you out. I have had a few pair of ski boots adapted to my lousy feet so it's worth a try.

Thanks for the advise. The folks up in Alaska do only work on their own boot sales (that makes sense). So I was emboldened by your comments to try to warm the boots with a digital heat gun with an already tightened shoe strecher inside with the boot tightly laced. The rubber rand doesn't move much but the boot seemed to conform a bit. The result was a more confortable fit.

Have you tried an orthotic? I was fitted for new ski boots this year and suffer from bunions myself and the fitter suggested I try an orthotic to stabilize my foot. I haven't broke down for the custom one yet, but the the over the counter ones have helped a lot and I will purchase a custom later in the spring. I notice a big difference in my Vasque Kodiaks with and without the orthotic.
Dale