ADK bear canisters become official

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"This notice will be published in issue 34 of the State Register, dated 8/24/2005."

What is the effective date for persons to start using canisters?

Not a big deal since I carry one already, just curious.

Pete, thanks for the reminder.
I am planning on getting to the high peaks and completing my winter 46 over the next 2 years. I didn't see anything in the regs discussing winter camping, so I am assuming we will have to lug the bear canister in 0 degree weather? Oh well......

Rick,

The regulation states April 1 to November 30 is the canister requirement. Other times of the year the original wording is in effect, and you must take reasonable steps, such as a canister, cable, or rope hanging system.

bridgeman said:
"This notice will be published in issue 34 of the State Register, dated 8/24/2005."

What is the effective date for persons to start using canisters?

It becomes effective when it is published.

And yes, Some nerd will ask, What if I head in tonight, when they are not required by law, will I get a ticket after midnight?

To this, I answer, "Get a life."

Thanks, Pete. I need the likes of you to let me know about this stuff as I am trying to Get a Life!! So, now we all know about this... should we assume that there will be some media attention to this to let those not in the know hear about it?? I can't imagine a newbie type packing up gear and heading into the HPs -- all with good intensions (and maybe excellent ability) only to find out that there is a reg in place...

Pete, I like your new "AXE"
I have a red one just like it! :cool:

Brownie

bubba said:
So, now we all know about this... should we assume that there will be some media attention to this to let those not in the know hear about it?? I can't imagine a newbie type packing up gear and heading into the HPs -- all with good intensions (and maybe excellent ability) only to find out that there is a reg in place...

Maybe some local attention, but it is the responsibility of the hiker, to know the rules of where (s)he is hiking. If you were to go to, say, The Grand Canyon, without knowing about their quotas, fire rules, or to the Sierra withoug knowing about thir rules, including the bear canister, or to Baxter with a dog, whose fault would it be if things didn't go right?

It will (is?) posted at each trailhead. There are places in the area where they can be rented.

Brownie said:
Pete, I like your new "AXE"
Like the double bit one, it is also my kid's axe.