Advice Planning Long Trail Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzawac01

Reaction score
I went to hike the Long Trail, VT, last summer. I made it only half way do to circumstances beyond my controll. I left on June 30th. It was great. This summer I want to re-do and finish the hike with some friends. They can go from May 20th to June 20th. I am wondering how bad are the bugs this early in the year. Blackflies, and mosquitos. Last time in July there were almost none and the hiking was GREAT! Also will I need to bring heavier clothes going a month earlier? I do not know how the weather in VT is in the mountains in May and June as opposed to July. My main concern is the mosquitos and blackflies. I hate to sound like a wimp, but they have made for miserable weekends before, I would hate to set my self up for a miserable month. If this is going to be a bad time for the bugs, I will just plan for a different time or different place. Any advice from those that have been there would be very helpful and greatly appreciated! Thank you.

The bugs will probably be an issue during that time but my MAIN concern with that timing would be the MUD !!!!

Needless to say, particularly to someone who has experienced half of the LT, the mud is intense along the LT, atleast it was this summer in August/September and I can only imagine it will be worse during the "mud season" . . . I personally wouldn't want to deal with the already bad mud during its peak time. Also, I am sure someone else will chime in as to the effect on the trails so I will leave that for them . . .

I hiked the NPT in NY the last 2 weeks in June a few years ago and the mud and the bugs nearly drove me insane, though the trip itself was a ton of fun !!! I really liked the time of year I chose to do my LT trip (Aug 14-Sept 15) and would recommend that time of year to anyone. I carried extra warm clothing for the last 10 days of my trip and was happy that I did so . . . and you will probably find that in an average year May tends to have its share of cold days.

Good Luck with your hike, I hope you are successful . . .

sli74

GMC mud season guidelines

The Green Mountain Club requests that hikers stay off higher elevation trails until after Memorial Day. And the state of VT closes alpine areas (Camel's Hump, etc.) until Memorial Day. See the mud season guidelines The bugs will be there for sure but it's very hard to predict where and when.

Last edited:
On most years i would say both bugs and mud would be at their peak during that time of year although May this past year seemed drier with less bugs.
Happy Birthday Sli!

Well, those pesky black flies...

and mosquitoes have the annoying habit of not being very predictable. I have found that at the time you are planning your trip they, indeed, are usually at their worst. :eek:

As I am allergic to these critters bites, I wear long everything year round. And sometimes that embarrassing head gear called a head-net. This does not help in promting that heathy out-doorsy tan, but it's better then getting ill, or worst- not being out there.

As for clothing. Flexiblity is the key. You can expect anything, really, from snow to heat waves. Also expect wild flowers, views, and nights spent under the stars with your friends. :)

Check out other peoples hikes of the Long Trail on trailjournals.com. It can be worthwhile to see what others went through.

About 6-7 years ago on memorial day weekend, we encountered about 3 feet of snow on the trail on the backside of Bloodroot Mtn (between rt 4 and Brandon Gap). We were hiking the section and bailed out down to Chittenden as our daughter (9 at the time) was with us. Didn't see any bugs though!

long trail

I would love to do the long Trail complete can someone give recommended reading and or planning advise.

As someone else suggested earlier in this thread, you can read some of the trail journals online but for the LT they are not as abundant. For planning purposes, I found the Long Trail Guide and the End-to-Ender book crucial and carried both with me. They are both put out by the GMC and can be ordered from their website or found in any outdoor store in Vermont and most places in the Northeast.

If you have specific questions I know there are atleast a couple of people on here that have hiked it end-to-end (myself included) . . .

Michelle, who posts on this site was an invaluable source of information and help with gear and general LT trivia . . . as she hiked it last year.

Have fun and just do it, it was THE MOST AMAZING experience of my life.

sli74

Long Trail hike

Although I only did the first 100 miles from the Mass line to Killington two summers ago in late July / early August, I can say that the weather conditions were excellent and the bugs were very few. Some of the places I really loved were Stratton Pond, Little Rock Pond and Bromley Mountain. The views from above Bennington and Manchester Center were not to be missed.

The fifty year old water pumps along the trail at certain points gave it an old time feel. The shelters are close enough together to make a 10 mile day or a 20 mile day possible, depending on physical condition and wetaher conditions..

I have also done some spots above Killington on the Long Trail. The Monroe Skyline (between Mount Ellen and Abraham) is one of the most scenic hikes in Vermont.

Griz

Hilton's tent city may still carry the guide & end to ender handbook. I picked up copies there (in 2001).

I did two sections of the LT in May and June of 2002. In May we did up to Manchester (part of a longer AT section from Kent) and were blessed by a late Spring snow storm: LT to Manchester Report. The snow and cold eliminated the problems of mud or bugs.

In June we continued up to Route 4 (and then over to NH on the AT). Still not much of a bug problem but some mud: Manchester to Route 4. Interestingly, atre leaving the LT and continueing on the AT the mud was much less. Terrain, I guess.

There were lots of early LTers out, so you may luck out as we did. The reports have imbedded photos and links to lots of other photos of the terrain at this time of year. Note the lack of deciduous leaves at higher elevations as late as May or early June.

Pb

. . . and join the GMC!

The Green Mountain Club does great work. Please join if you can afford the nominal dues. You get a great newsletter, a discount on GMC guides and stuff, and most of all you help the GMC make a difference for all of us.

GMC Membership