Airline Travel w/ Camp Stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everytime I've flown with it, I've put my stove with my check-in luggage. I've never had a problem thus far. I haven't ever brought a fuel bottle with me... but I think you should make sure to clean and air it out really good before checking that as well.

- Ivy

I have flown with both. On the way out to Seattle last year, I bought and carried a new stove and canister so I wouldn't have any issues and I checked them both.

On the way back, we all disposed of the fuel, cleaned with soap and aired out the stove and the fuel canister for a day or so and once again checked the stuff. It should be fine, I think as long as it doesn't smell like fuel.

Here is the TSA link, I printed and carried with me last year, it outlines how to transport your stove:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198005feb4

sli74

Last edited:
I might get a new fuel bottle for the trip and plan on leaving it behind at trips end, that way you have no reason for them to suspect anything.

I disctinctly remember seeing on that show Airline where a guy did EXACTLY this but HAD fuel in the canister and they smelled it and pulled him from the flight as well as his luggage. If they smell anything like fuel you're doomed.

M

Technically, on most airlines you are not allowed to fly with stoves and fuel bottles, and can risk forfeiting your ticket if caught. The rule and penalty varies depending on air carrier and; you can usually get this info from their websites. That being said, I've flown several times with my XGK stove and 2 fuel bottles in my check in baggage (including times when I went through customs) and have never had a problem. I think that if you take proper precautions you are safe; the airlines intent is to prevent someone from carrying something explosive. What I have done to prep the stove before flying is:

1. bought a small bottle of alcohol
2. partially filled one fuel bottle and and then attached the pump
3. pressurized the bottle
4. connect the stove fuel line
5. open the valve and allow the alcohol to flush out the pump, fuel line and jet
6. disconnect the stove and drain any remaining alcohol
7. do a quick wipe down of the stove exterior with alcohol
8. rinse out both fuel bottles with alcohol and then soap and water
9. pack everything in check in bags, fuel bottles uncapped, stove & pump in zip locks

All this takes about 25 minutes. Hope this info helps.

no more stove for me...

I tried to fly to NM with a used stove (no fuel) in my check-in luggage, the airline asked if I had one and I told the truth. They told me they'd keep it and someone could go pick it up for me at the airport. My brother went to the airport the next day to pick it up and it was gone. So, I lost a GREAT little backpacking stove I bought at a yard sale for $2..

I would say...even tho it sucks, follow the rules and buy a new one while you are out there.

You may be able to sell it when your trip is over..

I don't know when your flight is, but mail is pretty fast these days...

If you have any experience with them, this may be a good reason to make a Pepsi stove and toss it when your done.

Jim

Carmel said:
I tried to fly to NM with a used stove (no fuel) in my check-in luggage, the airline asked if I had one and I told the truth. They told me they'd keep it and someone could go pick it up for me at the airport.

This is why I copied the page from the link below and took it with me to the airport because I figured I would show them that the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) website listed rules allow for travel with campstoves under those guidelines. If you read their guidelines, they don't prohibit campstoves just require certain procedures.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?c...90005198005feb4

But as Carmel says, if you don't want the hassle, just buy one out there and ship it back before you leave.

sli74

A couple of years ago I flew to Denver with my stove in my pack (checked). Nobody asked and I didn't tell. On the return flight they asked me, I told them the truth, and they told me it could not go on the plane. There was a post office in the airport, so I took the stove, bought a box, and sent it home via AIRMAIL! I thought it was humorous that it probably ended up in the cargo hold of the plane next to my pack... ;)

Looks like my link is not working anymore ???? :confused:

EDIT: here is another link to the same site:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1187.xml

also here is a copy and paste of what was on the website of the TSA

Travelers & Consumers Printable Version
Transporting Special Items

Transporting Camping Equipment

Outdoor enthusiasts should carefully prepare and pack to avoid removal of prohibited items from checked baggage or surrendering prohibited items at the security checkpoint. A specific list of all permitted and prohibited items is at (link). Below is information specific to traveling in pursuit of outdoor activities:

Camp Stoves - Can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if empty of all fuel and cleaned such that vapors and residue are absent. Simply emptying the fuel container is insufficient as flammable vapors remain. TSA recommends you ship these ahead of time as they are frequently confiscated due to fuel vapors.

Gasoline - Gasoline or any flammable liquid is prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage.

Aerosol insecticides - Hazardous aerosols, such as insecticides, not listed as excepted personal toiletries are not allowed in either carry-on or checked luggage. Acceptable personal toiletries include hair sprays, deodorants in limited quantities.

Lighters - Due to security concerns, ALL lighters are banned from your carry-on luggage, including lighters that don’t use fuel such as electric lighters with a battery and nichrome element. Lighters that do not contain fuel are permitted in checked baggage, but fueled lighters are not.

TSA strongly recommends that you double-check your carry-on baggage and pockets for lighters before arriving at the airport. Because of federal laws and operational considerations, TSA cannot return any prohibited items voluntarily abandoned at the checkpoint or removed from checked baggage.

Matches - Matches are not permitted in your checked baggage due to safety regulations, but up to four books of safety matches are allowed in your carry-on baggage or on your person. For safety reasons, strike anywhere matches are prohibited at all times from carry-on and checked baggage.

Flares - Flare guns are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage.

Knives and Tools - Knives and certain tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

Animal Repellants - Chemical repellants can be carried in checked luggage if the volume is less than 4 ounces and has less than a 2% active ingredient. Most bear repellants exceed these limitations. We suggest buying such items at your destination and leaving them behind upon return.

sli74

Last edited:
i just maybe had crap for luck.

i didn't want to admit this before, but my great little stove that I was so excited to use probably hadn't been used in over five years, it was clean, and they didn't check it. It was also the summer after 9-11...

Maybe if i did my research and printed out that link, i wouldn't have lost it (good thing darren has a few extra!).

I would say...get to the airport more like 3 hours early :) and bring a good book...and have an AWESOME vacation!!!

sli74 said:
.... because I figured I would show them that the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) website listed rules allow for travel with campstoves under those guidelines.

1) The drone at the checkin counter will not have their ideas changed by something you bring in to show them.

2) A carrier can (and many do) have stricter guidelines than the Gov recomends.

Your best bet, would be to get documentation from the carrier themselves.

Think of getting a pocket rocket for trips, and buying canisters at your destination.

Pete is correct- many airlines prohibit transport of a stove if it has been used even once. Check the airlines website.

As far as TSA goes, not only can will they confiscate your stuff, but you can be fined. Some airports have developed reputations for "over-fining" people.

Example

In the past when flying with my Whisperlight, I ran it through the dishwasher prior to packing and then packed it in my checked bag. Since my backpack is inside of a duffle bag, no one asks you at the counter if you are going backpacking with a duffle bag. If TSA sees it during inspection, as I understand it isn't a TSA violation.

As for my fuel bottle, I clean it throughly and wrap it with Duct tape. I then fill it with lemonade and bring it right through. If someone asks you what is in it, Open it and show them it's lemonade, you have allergies to using Poly Ethylene bottles and glass can break in your bag... and then take a good long drink to show them it's safe (It shouldn't even be an issue as one can't see the word "Fuel" if it the bottle is wrapped in duct tape (your explanation for the duct tape is that it insulates your hands when the bottle is full of ice cold beverage, and keeps the beverage cooler longer).

As far as traveling with Pepsi Can Stoves, back when I used to make them, I would tell friends heading out West to bring a house candle and stick it in a ziplock bag with the Pepsi can stove. If someone ever asks what it is, it simply is a self venting candle holder.

If you go extra steps to make it obvious you are a backpacker and give some folks (who might just love to ruin a travelers day) a chance to show their authority, you will likely end up on the losing side of an argument.

Note: I am absolutely not advocating breaking the law. Just use common sense - and you will have to use more iof it to counter the ever-increasing lack of common sense of those drones (as Pete calls them).
My philosphy when flying is simply that I don't have any fuel, nor anything flammable or anything that evenly remotely smells like fuel and I am therefore no problem and unworthy of even a passing interest from the drones..

Last edited:
Pete has the right idea. I took my Primus gas stove to Alaska with no problem. Going through Seattle they asked and I said "propane stove-no fuel" and it was no problem. You're probably beter off volunteering the info and stressing how carefully the stove is cleaned etc.
I actually found it easier to buy Primus fuel in Alaska,than Ohio! Of course it was 8 bucks a piece!
On the way home I handed the partially full cannister to a very happy camper.

Rick said:
Since my backpack is inside of a duffle bag, no one asks you at the counter if you are going backpacking with a duffle bag.

Maybe this why I have never had a problem . . . my pack and gear is always inside a large black duffle so I have NEVER been asked if I have a campstove. I wouldn't lie if I were asked however. A pepsi can stove is a great idea as well.

sli74

It really is up to the airlines discretion. If you are really concerned you should just check the airlines website or call in advance. Interesting... like Rick I always pack my gear in a large duffel bag, including the pack, and assemble it all on site. I just flew to Az. this spring to hike in the Sedona area and had no problems at all. I only took a small day pack as carry on and checked in a 50 lb duffel bag full of gear and a cooler filled with stuff (mostly clothes). No questions or comments on anything.

While it's up to the airlines discretion, it's also up to the person searching your luggage.

I was on a business trip returning from the Channel Islands. My co-worker and I walked up to the counter side-by-side, to two agents also side-by-side. Asked the same questions almost in unison, we answered honestly. When we walked away, he was without his disposable razor while I still had mine. According to the TSA guide, the razor was acceptable but one agent decided differently.

We joked about absolute power corrupting absolutely, but well out of earshot.

Jim

Carmel said:
(good thing darren has a few extra!).

The reason I have extras is because I have had problems flying with stoves. Now when I fly somewhere, I buy a stove when I get there and then mail it home at the end of the trip. I mail the stove and the fuel bottle in seperate boxes. So I have a collection of stoves from different trips. At the least, it has allowed me to try out several different types of stoves.

On one trip, I was checking in my backpack that was inside a hockey duffle bag and the woman asked me what was in the bag. I said "my backpack". She got all crazy and said "a backpack????? SOOOO....you have a stove in there?????" I said no and she said said "yes you do, you must have a stove in there." I said "No, I don't because I know you guys don't want people to fly with stoves." She refused to accept this and she insisted that I had a stove. She then opened the bag, opened the backpack and pulled everything out of the backpack. When she was done I said "SO, where is the stove???" She still looked pissed at me like I had managed to hide it somewhere. Good thing I didn't have one in there and lied about it.

Stoves are cheaper than fines and they are also cheaper than spending a day at the airport and getting a late start to your trip because you had to explain having the stove and deal with that crap and then miss your flight.

TSA is one thing, but the airlines can have whatever regs they want and they can be much more strict than the government.

- darren

Flying to developing world

When flying outside of EU/NA, its pretty easy just to bribe the agent if they object to the stove, extra weight etc.

Not that I would every do that... ;)