Alaska

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burg

Reaction score
Not really a trip report, but thought people would enjoy the photos. We only got a short hike in as part of this land and cruise vacation. The weather was spectacular, however, and Denali was in the clear every day. We took a flight tour from Talkeetna - awesome. We also did a 4 hour glacier trek on the Gilkey glacier (part of the Juneau Icefield) which had recently calved off about a 500 foot section. We touched down on one of the bergs in the helicopter before setting down on the glacier itself.
We saw a ton of wildlife, including a mother bear with three cubs on the park road in Denali (which I did not get a shot of because the batteries had died in our camera - because I left the battery charger in the previous hotel room - a fact my wife is finding it hard to let me forget). We kayaked around the Tatoosh Islands, saw a great band at the Red Onion in Skagway, canoed to the face of a glacier near Ketchikan and, generally had a fabulous time.
As usual, pictures (a very few compared to the total # that we took) are here
By the way the entertainment on the ship, which I thought would be cheesy, was really first rate. Especially the shows. The exception was that one of the acts on the lounge was "Willie Tyler and Lester". The ventriloquist - anybody remember? We stopped in for about 10 minutes of his show - it was more sad than funny. Anyway, he was at the Red Onion, too. Drinking, not performing, luckily for us ;-).

Oops

Just realized how few Alaska pictures I had put up. I added a bunch more, but have reached my free limit. Time to consider the upgrade, I guess.

Cool, I loved Skagway and the Red Onion (which used to be a brothel!). Neat little town that absolutely balloons when the cruise ships come in. I did the Chilkoot trail back in 2002 and had a blast.

Thanks for sharing the photos...

Jay