Algonquin-Skylight-Marcy-Haystack 3rd attemp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rejean

Reaction score
Yesterday I went for my 3rd attemp on the Daks 4 highest summit.
I summit all 4 plus Wright and Iroquois. I had an early start at 4:00 am
and went first to Wright bareboot, haftway I switch to crampons on couple
of icy section. I summit Wright (first of the day) before 6:00 am. After I
went for Algonquin that I reach without problem (in crampons) at 7 am.
From Algonquin I went for Iroqouis and hike up on the steep snowy slope.
I reach the summit before 8 am and went down in direction for the col
between Iroquois and Marshall, from their I buswack till Colden lake. The lake
was well frozen so I walk on the lake and save time. After a short hesitation
(Colden or skylight first) I decided to keep my energy and went for skylight.
My first time on skylight on a sunny day and one of the best view in the East.
I reach skylight at 11 am and after some picture I went for Marcy that I reach
at noon. Again great view in every direction (100 miles view). Going down Marcy I meet a big group (about 8 ) of Coren-Japoness-Chise hiker that was
going sking on Marcy. What a good place to ski and a great day.
At the junction for Haystack I decided to go for Haystack even if I was
starting to be tired. I went slower than usual and summit Haystack at 2:15
pm. A group of 6-7 hiker was on the summit and where taking a sun bath at the summit. The best place for a sun bath in the Daks. From Haystack I start
the long return in direction of Adirondack loj. At the junction of the Range trail
and Haystack trail I took a energy gel and went till the junction with Vanhovenburg trail that I reach at 4 pm. I was so happy to had only the down hill to do. Couple of skier past me on my way down (looks very funny to go down in ski in that large trail).

My first all day with the sun since a long time. :) :) :)

If I did not know you Rejean, I would say that this one whopper of an April Fool's joke! But, I'm 99.99% sure you really did this hike! :eek:

Ok, this is what I propose! :p

Pinpin, Rejean, Randomscooter, and anyone else who feels up for the task will meet this Saturday at the Loj, at 3:00 AM! :eek:

I will have a multiple-person-tracking stopwatch in my hand, and when I say go, it's off to do Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Marshall, Cliff, Redfield, Allen, Skylight, Gray, Marcy, Haystack, then out the great range to Rooster Comb! First one out wins a water bottle! Hopefully I will be able to get over to the Rooster Comb P.A. before the first finisher arrives! :eek: :D

If there is a tie, we will go from there to Whiteface! :D

(If in doubt about this post, check the date!)

Hey Rejean, nice trip report. I was the one who took the group you met up to Haystack. It was great meeting you. That was the first peak in the Daks for those five boys that were with me. It was great meeting you up there, it was quite the inspiration for them. All they talked about the rest of the trip was going back and bagging a bunch more peaks. Some new addicts were born that day!

Hopefully those teenagers weren't too much of a distraction for relaxing on the summit. It sure was nice just hanging out in the sun like that.

We were all feeling fairly cocky until you showed up with your trip report of that being your sixth peak of the day. Shortly after you left another solo hiker bagged Haystack after doing Roster Comb and the other six 4,000' peaks on the east end of the Great Range Trail, making 7 peaks on the day. I guess I was just a slacker enjoying the sun for so long. :D

Days like that are all too rare. Beatiful sun, warm, deep hard snow on the trails. I'm still glowing inside as I sit here at work. Nothing is going to wipe the smile off my face in the foreseeable future.

Tony

Last edited:
[QUOTE=Tom Rankin]Ok, this is what I propose! :p

Pinpin, Rejean, Randomscooter, and anyone else who feels up for the task will meet this Saturday at the Loj, at 3:00 AM! :eek:

I will have a multiple-person-tracking stopwatch in my hand, and when I say go, it's off to do Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, Marshall, Cliff, Redfield, Allen, Skylight, Gray, Marcy, Haystack, then out the great range to Rooster Comb! First one out wins a water bottle! Hopefully I will be able to get over to the Rooster Comb P.A. before the first finisher arrives! :eek: :D

If there is a tie, we will go from there to Whiteface! :D

(If in doubt about this post, check the date!)[/
QUOTE]

Tom I am not a racer and Pinpin is the master. I think that he as done
that hike in the past. Last summer I tough about doing a great range
traverse starting at the Loj:
Algonquin-Skylight-Marcy-Haystack-Basin....Rooster Comb.

I changed my mind after calculating the elevation gain (more than 12,000
feet). :) :) :)

I have a couple of photos from this day. Unfortunately, I didn't think of getting a photo of Rejean.

Both are panoramics taken from the summit of Haystack.

Marcy and skylight with Panther Gorge in the lower right:
final.jpg

Very large pan with all but the western ridge included:
finalbig.jpg

Tony

tonycc said:
I have a couple of photos from this day. Unfortunately, I didn't think of getting a photo of Rejean.

Both are panoramics taken from the summit of Haystack.

Marcy and skylight with Panther Gorge in the lower right:
final.jpg

Very large pan with all but the western ridge included:
finalbig.jpg

Tony

Great picture, last saturday wast the best day to took some picture. :) :)