Allen - #46 for DeadFred, KZKlimber, & Garen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KZKlimber

Reaction score
Many have asked - "Why did you save Allen for last?". Originally it was because it was the last remaining peak we all had in common and we thought it was appropriate to finish together.

Reflecting back now I'm even more satisfied with our choice.

Why?

The 18.8 miles is a long way, symbolic of the long journey to finish the 46 (23 years for me!).

Allen has a bit of everything, evoking memories of many past hikes as the day progressed. The gravel roads portions brought up comparison with the AMR road. The bridge crossings were like those around Flowed Lands. The sections of wet rock were very similar to Seward. The Skylight Brook crossing reminded us of the difficult early spring crossing of the Uphill Brook on the way to Gray & Skylight. The trail conditions were Bradley Pond Trail wet. The wooded traverse from the gravel road to Skylight Brook was like the Rt 73 approach to Grace Pk via the Bouquet. Climbing Allen Brook was much like the ascent of Redfield. Finally the summit had the remote feel of Emmons or Couchsachraga and the wooded solitude of Nye & Street.

Although the view was not panoramic, there were many peaks visible within a short walk of the summit including the Santanoni's, Sewards, Dixes, and Marcy and surrounding peaks. Great unique views of Panther Gorge and Gothic/Pyramid can also be seen.

It was a great moment as we approached the summit and all touched the sign in unison. I'll bet those on Redfield heard could hear the cheer!

It was interesting that we met Christine and Alex (both 46'rs) doing trail maintenance on the way up. Saws in hand, they were hard at work clearing blowdown that had fallen across the path. This was much appreciated by us on our descent. I could not help but thinking - this is what is being a 46'r is all about - spending your day clearing the way for others and providing encouragement to those you meet along the way. Thanks guys!

I would also like to thank all of those on VFTT who have provided trail info and advice and made the journey easier. Thanks to Steve for joining us and taking all those great summit photos! I especially would like to thank my hiking partners DeadFred, Garen, and Dakota the dog. I never would have done it without you guys!!!

Climb On!!!!!

KZ :D

Last edited:
Fred, KZ & Garen

All you guys, Congradulations on a great job. Wish we could have been able to have hooked up with you guys afterword for a celebratory cocktail, however we were a little later than planned in getting back from helping Hillman finish his 46.

I suppose waiting out a thunderstorm at 4800' has a way of changing plans like that. Anyhow, nice work for all of you. Great report.

Last edited:
KZ - great post about a peak that causes many of us reflect on doing the 46. As the most popular "last peak" I think you have put poetry to a peak many have damned.

Congratulations to DeadFred and Garin too.

BTW, 23 years... you beat me!

Save the best for last

Well said Kevin. I think the best part of the 46 for me was the friendships that developed along the way. Even though my quest for the 46 was 20 years shorter, I will always have fond memories of the journey. I too agree that saving Allen for last was appropriate (although I'm not sure I would have said that during the last couple of miles on the way out). Your comparisons to the other climbs are right on. It was also appropriate to finish as a team (KZKlimber, DeadFred and Me) because we supported each other so well along the way. I would never have finished so strong without you guys.

Thanks also go to our families and friends who had to put up with us over the past several years. Also to the many fine people at VFTT and those we met along the way that helped us reach our goal.

Keep climbing!!

Garen (ADKMan)

First, I want to say thank you! to the following people:

My two 46er finishers and hiking partners Garen and Kevin. Finishing with you guys was terrific. I got goosebumps as we topped out and tagged the summit together. It's been great!

My great friend Steve, with whom I started hiking the Adirondacks back in 1990. Love for the mountains has always been a common bond and I look forward to being there when (not if!) you finish the 46! No more 20 mile day hikes, I swear!

My Mom and Dad and sisters, none of whom really understand my addiction, but support me and encourage me and love me anyway. To be truthfull, my parents planted this seed in me at a very young age by vacationing in the outdoors, taking me fishing, letting me disappear to play in the woods as a boy, and instilling in me an appreciation and respect for the outdoors. Once in a while I email them pictures of my climbs and the replies are always awe-full (after the obligatory "be carefuls" are voiced!).

Dakota. The true love of my life (since I haven't yet found that woman crazy enough to marry me) has been the best friend anyone could ask for in a canine companion. A real trooper she is and a GREAT mountain dog!

VFTT and it's members! Last on this list, but far from the least! The familial nature of this site has impressed me from day one. Not much of an internet surfer I am, but a friend turned me on to VFTT a couple years back and I've been hooked ever since. The advice and support from many people I have come know but have never met (and those whom I have met) is refreshing in this modern impersonal era. From getting great trip advice, to the comradarie, to the excitement of sharing others' experiences, to sharing of my own experiences and knowledge has been terrific.

Now about Allen and the 46:

Kevin summarized it well. As I hiked this long approach and wonderful mountain, my mind was also awash with all my years of hiking and the ADK's. From exploring the local woods as a boy; to outdoors activities as a cub scout; to my first "real" hike with the Father Paul (a great priest-God Bless him!) in Letchworth State Park (WNY); to the college years hiking the Red River Gorge region in Kentucky and canoeing the Little Miami and Ohio Rivers; becoming an active environmental tree-hugging wacko while in college (still am, a tree-hugging wacko, that is); to the Adirondacks in the early 90's; to living and climbing in the Rockies for five years; and back to the Adirondacks and the northeast in the late '90's. But nothing stands out like the experience of setting and achieving the not-insignificant goal of becoming a 46er.

Saturday's finish on Allen had everything a ADK mountain can offer: long approach, wet and muddy, steep climb, satisfying summit views, rain AND sun, beautiful skies, great streams, varrying foliage, anklebreakers, solitude, I could take my dog, and so much more.

I thought often as I climbed Allen, of the many climbs I've done to get there. The first climb up Giant-solo-because I didn't know anybody to climb with at the time; hiking Marcy in sneakers (forgot the boots!) with Steve and friends in '91; the blowdown on Cliff in winter conditions-arghhhh!; the disdain I had for the recently completed Couchie-why oh why!; the wonderful trip into Uphill LT climbing Gray, Cliff and Skylight (my favorite-if I had to choose right now); that friggin deathmarch that's called the AMR road (especially from the gate to the lower parking lot!); two incredible and contrasting trips up Sawteeth-one in winter, one in fall; the incredible adventure up Basin this past spring with Garen and his son Ryan; the side of Gothics with Tim and Steve in a beautiful and dangerous thunderstorm-hiding in a nook above treeline until it passed; a Cascade trip with 70 mph winds; the many trips up Algonquin (one of my favorites); transitioning into serious winter hiking as I gained more experience; my complete HATE of blackflies and how, in some screwed up way, I've come to deal with them (with a good bug shirt-that is); the excitement of standing on a summit after busting one's backside to get there; Dakota, Dakota, Dakota (if it weren't for the AMR restrictions she would be a 46er too!); slides!; oh, I could go on and on and on.

I know one thing for sure: I would do it all again in a heartbeat and I can't wait to achieve my next set of goals (Alan's got me thinking seriously about the ADK100! And then there's the NE115, the Cat35, Ranier, Denali, Everest-well, maybe to Camp 1). I realized when I woke on Sunday morning at home after climbing Allen on Saturday that I am addicted to this sport. (Like I didn't know this already!) I wanted to be back out in the mountains in spite of my fatigue from the day before!!! A feeling welled up in my heart...not of let-down, dispair or conclusion, but a true desire to go back out right away for more. A feeling of contentment that can't be matched by any other experience...the physical benefits of climbing for the body and mind; the soulful and spiritual inspiration that comes from connecting with God's Great Earth in a way that very few people are able or willing to do; the excitement of setting and achieving such a serious goal; the challenge of overcoming barriers and obstacles to success (including two aborted trips in the Santanonis); the friendships that build and will remain forever with not only these hiking partners, but with all who relish in the beauty and greatness of the mountains.

Thanks for reading this diatribe. (Just be glad you're not my 46'er correspondent;).)

It's not the end, it's only the beginning!!!! Next!

PS: Thanks Bruce for your encouragement, especially in the home stretch. Seeing you on Allen was great. Plus, the timing was such that you helped put us on top!! Seeing you just moments from the summit telling us we were there and wishing us congratulations was really special! Good luck to Mrs. Alpine as she works on here first round. Not many more now! Also thanks to Christine and Alex at the beginning of the climb up Allen Brook. It was a pleasure to meet you and your work is not only appreciated, but now that I'm available to do more than bag 46'er peaks, a model for my own interests in giving back to the mountains by volunteering.

Last edited:
Congratulations to you all!

Wow, Allen! It's still on our to-do list and I have to admit I'm not completely thrilled about it. The more I'm hearing, though, the less I dread it.

DeadFred, WOW, what a GREAT post! I did read the whole diatribe and it was very eloquent. Nicely written. Your dog is great, I can see you're proud.

KZ, I felt like I was right there with you, because I knew most of the relates you compared your trip to. I feel like I really can picture it now and know just what to expect. Another piece of fine writing!

Again, congratulations to you!

BTW, I'm the wife of Mavs00 :D

I was there with you on St Crispin's Day...

Actually my brother Steven and I were on Allen when you bagged your 46. We missed the final left turn off the slide at the big cairn. I just couldn't find the path off the side of the slide so we went right on the slide and followed the faint trail. I knew it was not the main path but it did go up and we came upon the occasional ribbons. We really have to hand it to the 46ers or whoever left the ribbons. This added a hint of Hough via the Beckhorn to this ascent. But the trail was so faint I just about relied on my sixth sense to keep on it.
We did not fall on the slide as we were extra cautious.
My one big error was leaving water bottles behind a tree somewhere after a stream crossing and Allen Falls. I feel like a greenhorn as I could not find them on the descent. SO, if anyone is going up Allen and can find said water bottles to the left on the ascent, about 20' in from the trail at a place marked with 2 different colored ribbons, please take those bottles out and wash away my sins. We kept looking for them as we descended but came up dry.
We did it, trailhead and back in 10:37.
#42 for me, #45 for Steven.
This weekend we hope to complete it with Haystack, Basin, Saddleback and Sawteeth.

Hey Garen, Kevin and Fred... WAY TO GO! What a feeling it is to finally meet the summit of your 46th Adirondack peak. Congratulations to you all. Since my slow old bones caused our group to finish late, we didn't get together with you, so we'll have to find a way. Fred, the Bills-Pats game is "single seats" only already, so I don't think I'll be at that one. maybe we can meet that weekend somehow... or, and this is novel, maybe we can HIKE together sometime! I'll let you know when I think my MacNaughton trip will be. Great trip reports, you guys. Stay well. -Bob

Hank;

Your last words as you left the parking lot were - "you guys will probably pass us!"

NOT

Great job!

Thanks for the advice and directions.

Keep us posted on your progress.

KZ

No, the words were, you will probably pass us.

KZ,
We were waiting for you to catch up. We were also puzzled as to why you didn't start at first light. After all the stories about Allen, getting a jump on the day seemed to be one of the few cards up our sleeves.
Congratulations on FortySix. With luck, Steven and I will we rocking in the same craddle you are in come Sunday. Saturday Steven is redoing Haystack, Basin and Saddleback with me. We have saved Sawteeth as the caboose. But if the weather is bad it will be a night train.
Allen was an interesting day. Wet in the morning from rain the night before, very high humidity but cool temps, sun coming out and rising temps at noon, then t storms late in the day. I thought I saw hail bouncing off the car on the way back to Newcomb.
Hank

Congrats to those that just finished, and those about to finish...I did the Haystack-Basin-Saddleback finish, and it was great. It's not that bad of a dayhike at all. I hope you get endless views, as the top of Haystack literally allows you to see forever.

Hank;

We didn't actually start hiking until 0640.

You guys were the model of efficiency - got out of the car and immediately hit the trail.

Let's just say not all of our party was bright eyed and bushy tailed after sleeping at trailhead.

One member opened his car door - 2 slits for eyes,and announced semi-consciously "I hate you guys for this"

;)

Speed of travel

KZ,

The speed of travel is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

I thought of you when the rain began to fall. We were but a mile or 2 from the trail head. But Summer rain is hit or miss. You could swim across 28N just past the access road but the road was bone dry in Newcomb. You might not have gotten wet at all.

Hank