Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaNoE_MaN

Reaction score
I was wondering what the current conditions are on Allen. Does anyone know? Will Skylight brook br hard to cross? This is my first trailess peak....should I try something different

A good trailess peak right now is Marshall, with some very obvious tracks. It's easy to get to, but the climb is a little tougher, but nothing like Allen.

Keith

Very good tracks on Tabletop too right now, another easy trailess peak. Easier than Iroquois and Marshall, IMO.

Pinpin Jr (and Alain) did Street-Nye 2 days ago, his tracks are fresh and should be easy to follow, but the Indian river crossing may be tricky.

Alpine

I have already done Wright, Algonquin, boundry, and Iraquois. Maybe I could try Marshall or Table top.

Thanks

Wanna See Some Allen Pics?

I did Allen on Thanksgiving, and have some pics if you'd like to check them out. Here is a link to the thread.

btw - Skylight Brook was tricky for me, what with the icy rocks and all. I can imagine now it'd be just as tricky or even worse.

Allen as first trailess peak?

I'd try something easier like Couchie or Emmons.

OK - that was sarcasm.

Seriously - don't go alone your first trip out on a trailess peak unless you have a lot of experience navigating and/or using a GPS. I did a few with friends before I solo'd, and even then I only solo as a last resort, especially in winter.

If you want a day hike - as others have said Street & Nye are your best bet. Esther, Iroquois and Tabletop are also good as long as the trail is broken. Do Esther from the ASRC.

If you want to do an overnighter staying at uphill leanto provides access to Gray, Redfield, and Cliff. Cliff is the shortest but most frustrating of the 3. Gray is the easiest.

Check out AdirondackJourney.com for trip descriptions and pictures, just realize that things are different in winter.

GOOD LUCK!!!! Let us know how you make out.

KZ:D