Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim,

Thanks for that.... I suspected it might be tough that way.
I passed on your trip report from your website to my friends so they should have a relatively easy time of it.
Good Report!

Cheers

-Phil

One other thing on Allen is that when you start to climb the mountain it is a continuous climb.....my memory is that it was an unrelentless climb and constantly fairly steep. And please be careful on the rock...it is slippery even though it may not look slippery....Enjoy...it's great...

Pat

The odd thing is...the closer we get to the 4th, the more excited I am to try and tackle this thing. Bring on the boring gravel roads, the circling flies, and the steep algae! :p

My thanks to everyone for the varous info in this thread.

IIRC the best views from Allen are not from the summit. There are at least 2 openings a little lower down. One towards the Dix Range and another towards Skylight. Very unique perspectives and lots of peaks, ridges and ponds to identify especially from the view towards Dix.

Hoping to add some useful info to all the great advice here.

That final approach herd path is to the left of the slide. You will find it a little bit before the slide ends, so keep a heads up as you near the top of the slide. You will likely be on the right of this slide at this point.

I'm with Neil on the views. Go a little bit past the summit for some additional views, as well.

Sounds like there will be quite a few camping up there this weekend. There are limited good spots by Skylight Brook (which I guess are illegal), so you might want to consider a day hike instead.

And yes, that brown/red stuff is always wet, always slick.

Thanks guys. I started out at 4:30AM on 7/4 and made the summit by 9:30, but unfortunately views were already rather hazy. For some reason I could only locate the small rock ledge facing east...herd paths leading north (for a view into Panther Gorge?) seemed to fizzle out after 20 yards or so. Perhaps I gave up on them too soon.

I enjoyed the waterfalls on Allen Brook however, as well as the wide variety of paths, roads, and trails along the route. The slide was tricky in places on the way down, but I experienced few problems on the ascent. I couldn't believe the devastation (caused by Floyd) between the Opalescent and the start of the herd path...it looked as though a dragon had hit it or something. :eek: Hiking under power lines (not far from Lake Jimmy) was a new experience for me in the ADKs as well.

It does look as though there's a good, though probably illegal, campsite just before the Skylight Brook crossing.

42 down, 4 to go! :cool:

Last edited: