Alligator eggs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
OK, so I've parked my VW Beetle in the garage near work this morning, gotten my things together and I see this couple in the alcove near the bank of elevators. The man nicely opens the door for me as I cart a gazillion things and I think, "How nice and gentlemanly!"

As I walk in toward the elevators, we glance at one another and I hear him say, "alligator eggs!" :eek:

"Huh??" I'm clearly puzzled. It's way too early in the morning and I haven't had nearly enough coffee. :confused:

"Your VFTT sticker!" he says. He has spotted it on my car. Then he reminds me of a string of posts not that long ago where our very own Dr. Wu suggests that we come up with a secret sign to alert fellow hikers when they've come into the presence of a VFTT member.

"Alligator eggs!"

Ahh, the light bulb goes off.

It's Whitelief, he tells me. He had seen the sticker on my car and persuaded his companion to stick around so he can figure out who it is. I inquire as to her trail name, but sadly, she's yet to be annointed with one.

A great way to start the day ... even if it's not on the trail somewhere in the mountains! :D :D

Last edited:
That's awesome. Almost made me spew my soy nut, pumpkin seed, craisin, almond mix on the monitor.

Good to see the call-sign is out there and being used...

Ever see that bumper sticker "Motorcycles are Everywhere!"? Looks like we need our own "Hikers are Everywhere!" version ;)

So there I am, lurking in the elevator lobby

I had spotted the VFTT sticker, so it had to be somebody, but it was a somebody I did not recognize, and what was taking so long? I figured my furtive glancing in her direction got her nervous, so she was fishing her knife out of the trunk. But finally she is headed in our direction and, yes, I did the chivalrous thing (sometimes risky these days, I know) and opened the door.

To say that "alligator eggs" was greeted with a blank stare would be a bit of an understatement. If snap judgment were required and she had the power to commit me, I would have been in some mental hospital in a moment. Fortunately I'm a fast talker (yep, a lawyer-type fast talker) and within a moment we were on the same VFTT wavelength. And what luck, it's Alpinista, a name revered far and wide!

Ahh, a small world, and a new friend, one who was talking brews even before we had crossed the street.

And for all of you wags out there wondering "Elevator! What is wrong with the stairs? Especially you, Whitelief!" the stairs are marked "emergency only" and undoubtedly alarmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: dms
Had ta jumpin on this one!

If someone said "gator eggs" to me, i'd say...

"Sure, sunnyside up or scrambled!"

i've et em and they'z goood! :D

Gris, I guess you'll just have to turn us on to this dish.
Nah, they travel/keep even worse than regular eggs. But i bring some other good stuff and turn ya on to as much as ya can handle... :D

Pete_Hickey said:
I'm amazed so many people don't remember that. But it's even worse than that. She's still around... She just has a different name now.
remember what????
still huh-in' :confused: :confused: :confused:
oh, ya i thought she was a fun post'r. added spice and flavor to the board!! :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

Last edited:
Double Bow said:
No need to worry. The only female VFTTer you'd ever have to worry about cutting you is long gone! :D :D
sli74 said:
post'r boy said:
double huh??????
jade said:
Hours later, and I'm still huh-ing.........
Pete_Hickey said:
I'm amazed so many people don't remember that. But it's even worse than that. She's still around... She just has a different name now.
teejay said:
Huh, again.
post'r boy said:
still huh-in'
Adding my "Huh" to the Huh pile. Newbie consumed by curiosity requests plain English explanation of said cutting female.