Alpine Garden this Saturday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathiecamper

Reaction score
Hi all - long time no log-in. Been busy out on the road bike, in the kayak and showing horses. Two of us are heading up to the Alpine Garden this Sat. What trail do you suggest? (we are experienced hikers).There is Huntington, Lion Head, or Tucks. I read the posts from 6/11 & 6/14 but what are the conditions up there now? I haven't been up since the fateful day in March when the wind was taking us all off our feet at 8am and we hadn't even gotten as far as Lion Head trail; a last ditch effort for a winter summit attempt. We did the unanimous "so summit today" and headed down. Bummer. The forecast had been for sun and little wind... Anyhow, I tried the links for the weather forcast and no luck. What have you heard for Sat? T-storms are predicted... Thank you, happy hiking! We'll have the green Subaru wagon. Two of us five foot tall women. ETA to be determined based upon the weather forcast... I'll let you know.

The forecast is looking like the storms will be later in the day, so go early-early-early.

The big drawback that you'll have is that you'll not have any view to the west to see the incoming weather - when it comes, it will be upon you fairly quickly (most likely in the form of suddenly being fogged in the clouds as the cold air slips over the range).

I'd either loop up Huntington (if you like the rock scaling and exposure and all that stuff that instills fear in the hearts of acrophobes) and down on the Tuckerman side, or do an up and back (Lion Head Trail or Tuckerman). If you really don't want to worry about the weather, drive up the Auto Road and hike down the Nelson Crag Trail. It's cheating, but it gets you to altitude the earliest and has the easiest escape route.

I'll wish good weather for you on Washington if you send me good weather vibes up in the Bigelows. :)

You're in for a great hike either way you go! I may be hiking there too.

The forecast is for a muggy summer day, 90f, with the afternoon T-storm possibility. I got caught in one up there on 6-11 ( see trip report, with pictures ) and bailed out down the Boott Spur Link to Hermit Lake Shelter.

Happy Trails! :)