Am i the only person who is stuff sack challenged?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm gonna try rolling. Can't fold, and I fear by stuffing something is gonna tear. But I do know how to roll...

Oversized Stuff Sacks

Well, I have always had a hard time getting stuff back in sacks they came with. I could usually do it with a lot of effort, but to me it's too much work. I now use sacks that are slightly oversized for the item. I put my 32 degree bag in the 40 degree bag sack. I purchased a sack for a 2 inch thermarest for my 1 1/2 inch pad. My 40 degree bag goes into my 2 man tent sack, my tent goes into.... you get the picture.

I do like sacks though for when you have to remove a lot of things from your pack to get something at the bottom. It's a lot easier to re-pack if everything has it's own sack. IMHO

Trying to stuff my rolled bag back into the stuff sack is like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube. Stuffing is the only way to get the sucker into the bag.

As for the rest of my gear with loft, I've become obsessed with any variation on the "Space Bag" theme. You can get them at REI, American Tourister, etc. It's amazing how much clothing you can cram into a small pack if it's all compressed to the max. And, they're basically waterproof.

This is a bit of a fun thread.
I roll a tent and stuff a sleeping bag....
I get a kick out of 'use no stuff sacks' as my wife and I are opposites on this one. I put everything in it's various stuff sacks.
My wife just stuffs everything into her pack . Drives me nuts till I remind myself how meaningless it is.... I mean some people would organize a dozen eggs ...I might be one of them...(actually somebody some where must do that...??)
I figure if the weight of a stuff sack or so is gonna put me over the edge...
perhaps this for an analogy
Now not everybody has had to lug shingles up a ladder to do a roofing job but you can well imagine at the end of the day every body on the crew is pretty tired..ok dirty, tired ,and somewhat humorless.
Now, if you just explain to them that they wouldn't be so tired if they would just peel the paper off the bundle before humping it up the roof they could actually save many ounces .....for studies have shown......
Well, it might be best to tell them this while still on solid ground. Reason being
I think it would be far better just to get strangled on the spot rather than go involuntarily sailing off the roof into the dumpster..then getting stomped on and strangled.
However, you could point out that those gosh awfull heavy boots they're stomping you with could actually be much lighter and labor efficent if they would only........of course those might be the last words you ever utter.....

(just a little attempt at humor ......had any real humor transpired I would disavow any knowledge of it's existence in any way shape or form...)

Last edited:
hahaha, i have never ever used stuff sacks well ever! Until a miracle dawned on me...dont use them. The stuff sack that always gives me the MOST problem, and is the most important is the one that came with my crash pad sleeping pad. I can NEVER get my sleeping pad in there, but it needs to be protected (already screwed one up by having it rubagainst stuff while hiking). My tent and bag and stuff, i just shake off and shove it in my backpack. I sort everything out into nice sacks after cleaning at home.

I pack my tent components in sacks, each marked with the dry weight. The ones most likely to be put away wet (fly, vestibule or annex) go in coated bags. I fold & re-fold along one axis to a width less than the height of the sack, then roll it tightly along the other axis. Not Coast Guard or Navy, but merchant mariner who learned to pack a seabag. The bags they came in don't always fit, especically if the tent is wet or frozen. Thermarest sacks are a good fit for some tents. I don't pack the poles in the same sack, unless they fold up really short, like my Backcountry 2. Rolled-up tent components will conform in shape to some extent. Tent gets hung out, dried & re-packed when I get home. I try to avoid folding on same creases each time. But I also avoid stuffing especially if the tent has hardware, such as Eureka posts & rings which could scratch waterproof coating.

I use a compression sack for sleeping bags. After the bag is in and the top is closed, place it upside down on the ground so that you have to pull up on the straps to tighten. Then sit on it, and work your way around a few times, pulling straps tight evenly.

the more gear you buy, the more you can interchange stuff sacks. I find I rarely use the stuff sack that came with the item, but I might use one for something else.

for instance, I use my bivy stuff sack for my down parka

I use a sleeping bag sack for a tent

etc.

and I never fold anything nylon or with a coating...

spencer

Sack or plastic?

Hmm - when I go overnight, which is usually for one or two nights out, the sleeping bag and sleeping pad go in the bottom pocket of my EMS 5500. The tent poles go in the top compartment, down one side, and the tent gets stuffed into the bottom of the top compartment so it rests on top of the bottom compartment.

I tend to pack the rest of my stuff in plastic shopping bags, just to make sure they stay dry and clean. The bear cannister, if I am carrying it, goes inside the top compartment, next to the tent poles. I have been known to carry clothes in the bear cannister on the way in, if we are splitting the food, as some of that tends to get carried in the attachable side pockets. It goes into the cannister after the meal at night.

I carry a pack cover, so if it rains, that goes over the pack to keep the stuff inside, including the sleeping bag and pad, dry.

Colming out, I'm a lot less picky, since everrything is going to come out and get cleaned and hung up to dry. If it has rained and the tent is wet, I surround it with the platic bags, just in case there is something in the pack I want to keep dry.

At home, I store the tent and the sleeping bags in these big platic rubber maid container, so they are not compressed at all. My instructors at the Loj in the course I took suggested doing that to keep them from losing loft or getting comressed and creased. The sleeping pad are stored inflated, but with the valves open, behind the couch.

The only time I put the stuff in stuff sacks is when I'm car camping with my daughter and my sister. Then it's just to sort of keep it contained, because we tend to take way too much stuff - Remember the story of the Princess and the Pea? That's my sister when she goes camping - I never knew how many variations there were of blow up mattresses and how many you could get into a single tent!

I use them for some gear. I've picked up some of the rectangle shaped sacks by OR. They seem to waste less space in my pack. For small gear like xtra socks etc it's more about organization especially in winter when you don't want to rummage through a lot of "stuff".

Kudos to VFTT. I had no idea such innane drivel could be uttered about such a meaningless piece of gear. Now, how does everyone feel about... :confused:

To stuff or not to stuff, that is the ?

Jasonst said:
Kudos to VFTT. I had no idea such innane drivel could be uttered about such a meaningless piece of gear. Now, how does everyone feel about... :confused:

To stuff or not to stuff, that is the ?

goona have to agree with you here on this one.... three pages of, How do I get my tent back into the original stuff sack... i'm sorry but STUFF to me says pack, jam, throw anything you can and then sinch it up and be done with it....

come on guys,

when i get into a situation where a piece of gear is fighting me I always say, be smarter then the ________!!! (place piece of gear in the underlined space....

no way is this post trying to knock anyone,

OK, so I have been chastised for my last post. I will keep my opinions to myself!

no you didn't

ADackR said:

]goona have to agree with you here on this one .... three pages of, How do I get my tent back into the original stuff sack... i'm sorry but STUFF to me says pack, jam, throw anything you can and then sinch it up and be done with it....

come on guys,

when i get into a situation where a piece of gear is fighting me I always say, be smarter then the ________!!! (place piece of gear in the underlined space....

no way is this post trying to knock anyone,
[/QUOTE