american made packs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critter

Reaction score
I have a dilemma, I am need of a new pack and had one all picked out, than I found that it is made in China. I know that finding things made in the US can be a futile effort but I like to buy US when I can. The pack is a Gregory Palisade. I emailed the company and the packs that they do make here are either too big, too small, or out of my price range. Not that the Palisade would be cheap but the others are close to 400.00 and up. If anybody knows of a company that makes a pack similar to the Palisade (ie. 5000 cu in, same quality, internal frame) , but made here in the US any info would be much appreciated.

Eureka has a factory store in Binghamton NY, located on Conklin Avenue. Each spring they have their famous tent sale, where they also sell Trails End backpacks. They sell factory seconds, at great prices, many styles to choose from. The sale is usually in March/April.

american made usually brings a higher price. you have to look at it this way american worker is making 10-15 an hour where as someone in a third world country might be making that a week/day. thats why so many compinies make things elsewhere.

I've said before and I'll say it again

Nobody out there beats Osprey when it comes to backpack.

I thnk Cold Cold World packs are made in the US. If they are not good luck finding an American Pack. I like to by American products as much as possibile but sometime you have to bit your teeth and buy forein products. Even LL bean products are made somewere else. Or you can make one yourself. Then you know it was made in the US.

Cold Cold World

Cold Cold World is made in Jackson NH. They are light, reliable, reasonably priced and IME has all models in stock.

Wild Country is another good choice. Retail outlet on strip in N. Conway.

cb

Critter

I can appreciate your noble commitment to buy American goods as I share this sentiment. My current working studio/space is in a 20 year ago Manhattan sewing sweatshop.
The free market has long precluded hand manufacturing goods in a city where to park a car is four to five hundred dollars per month.

In our current global economy Americans will soon come to understand that they will not be able to afford to clothe themselves in goods manufactured solely on this soil. This is a capitalistic inevitability and nothing can prevent this. We can slow it down but eventually we will all have to compete globally as technology connects our world market places.

On the flip side --- while no one wants to see a fellow American loose a job, think how important it is as businesses to stay competitive and on a moral sensitive side how important it is to a Chinese worker to have a the opportunity to earn pennies an hour.

World peace will eventually rely on a more uniform distribution of wealth. You can contribute to this and bring value to your immediate family by purchasing quality goods from less fortunate countries.

As the world’s wealth is redistributed remember that as an American nation if the rest of the world was to live as we do - - - we would require more than four planet earths to support our lifestyle! ---, And that of the 3 billion persons soon to join our world population none of this growth will come from America.

Michael

Dana, REI are make some great packs

Mchale

I find it difficult to get gear and clothing that fits well because I fall between a normal Medium and Large size. At different times I have used a Dana Bomb, Gregory Minaret, Osprey Kestral and a Jandd Kletter type pack. None of these fit me well.

Following the lead of a hiking buddy, I decided to buy a Mchale. Since it is made to order, it fits great. I have purchased two of them: one for summer (a zeroSARC model) and one for winter (a SARC model). I like them so much that I replace my zeroSARC with another one when it was stolen from my car in NYC.

They are expense - about $450. Since I hike 80-90 days a year, it was easy to justify the decision based on the comfort.

I could preach about McHale pack for some time but it's off thread.

Back to your point - they are made in Seattle by Dan McHale.

JHS

World peace will eventually rely on a more uniform distribution of wealth. You can contribute to this and bring value to your immediate family by purchasing quality goods from less fortunate countries.

So why not redistribute YOUR wealth...China really is a wonderful, peaceful country.
Just ask anyone living in Tibet. There must be a few monks left that were not massacred...

Osprey

Purchased an Osprey Ceres 50 this past spring. Used it just about every month since. Great gear. Best, most comfortable pack I ever used. I called the folks at the Osprey just to have them answer a few questions. Most inpressive was the response to my question as to how much the pack would hold The guy told me that the pack will handle anything I put inside, & as much as I could strap or otherwise attach....no problem
So I bought one. A little pricy, But hey, great gear