Amherst/Northampton Area Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dr_wu002 said:
Now, I'm going to be 2.5 miles from Mt. Tom which is pretty awesome because I think I'll be hiking almost every day now.
Any place with a TOM is a good place! :D

Wu, if yu want to come over to the Cats, Gunks, or Hudson valley, just give us a shout! :)

Mt Toby and Norwottuck

I have lived in Western Mass for 53 years, now in CT. We took a hike up Mt Toby for the very first time two weeks ago and it was excellent. You must climb the fire tower to the highest platform below the enclosed observation deck which is locked. But it gets you above the 30-40 foot trees and then you see for miles. I also recommend Norwottuck with many trails for an endless variety of loops so as not to trace your own steps.
Good luck in your discoveries! -TrekMan :D

Check out the east branch of the Westfield River between Route 143 in Chesterfield and the Knightville Dam. Lots of woods and trails. Excellent for mountain biking or just walking. Good fishing too. Chesterfield Gorge (Trustees of Reservations) is at the northern end. I usually begin/end my visits at the Indian Hollow campground (Corps of Engineers) about halfway down. There's a cool small gorge about a mile upstream from there. Trails lead downriver on the east bank from the campground to the dam. There's a dirt road on the west bank of the river that runs all the way from 143 to the dam. It's closed to vehicles for most of its length and great for the bikes.