An evening alone on Mt Hight and Carter Dome - 10/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobH

Reaction score
I slept in late. Red Bull and Jaeger is my weakness, often imbibed on Saturday nights. This does not bode well for my weekly Sunday hikes, at least if I want to get an Alpine start. I prefer the early morning in Summer and Winter, for different reasons, but in Spring and fall when the daylight hours are still reasonable and the temperatures aren't in the extremes, I'm usually fine with a late start. I had been planning a sunset hike for awhile, and the forecast looked good.

I have been avoiding the Wildcats and Carters for awhile. I'm not really 100% sure why either. They just don't seem pique my interest. After a great trip up Moriah a few weeks ago, I started to warm up to the eastern side of the Whites. After a recent discussion with my Fot48 group regarding Mt Hight, and knowing the sun would be setting over the presi's from that direction, I figured that would be a perfect setting and a nice, evening, fall jaunt in the whites.

I started out from the 19 Mile Brook TH at the not-so-alpine-start of 2pm. Dark was scheduled for around 6:30. Book time for the trip is around 7 hours. This I had all known in advance before I left my house, and took the plunge (a bit literally too if you make it to the end of the TR) anyway. I find that I arrive at my destination much faster if I am alone. Not because I hike faster, I hike slower... and take very few breaks. The tortoise and the hare kind of situation.

19M Brook starts out very smooth and gentle, I loved the first two miles. I passed 2 or 3 groups coming down all of which commented on my late start--to which I shrugged and smiled, but I mostly had the trail to myself. I felt great as I cruised along the gently cascading brook. Sometimes the trail is even undercut. This gives a feeling of walking extremely close to, or even on top of, the river.

IMG_20111016_141409.jpg

The slightly-past-peak foliage in the valley was quite beautiful.

IMG_20111016_142052.jpg

Unfortunately, as I reached the intersection of the 19 Mile Brook trail and the Carter Dome trail, I noticed the battery on my Droid (lol camera) was at 5%. I found out later it was because my charger hadn't been plugged in completely as I drove up. I hoped I could squeeze the most out of it predicting the views that would be in store for me so I turned it off for the time being. I was pleasantly surprised by the switchbacks, gentle grades (not well-defined on maps that I have), and peeking views into the valley up to Zeta Pass, expecting the usual "direct" approach from many of the trails in the whites. :D No pictures though, I conserved what was left of my battery. At Zeta Pass I took my only rest break of the day. I ate some granola, raisels (not misspelled, check them out! The sour apple flavored ones are my favorite) and gatorade. Here was my point of no return. I did some quick math and knew I would have to haul ass if I wanted to be out of unknown terrain by dark. Not knowing whether my "camera" would even turn back on, I contemplated turning around. Why? Was I only here for sunset pictures? What kind of a lame excuse for quitting an otherwise fine trip would that be? I felt good, was making great time, had my headlamp, extra layers, gps, extra batteries, etc... I pressed on to Mt. Hight. It was a bit steep. It was well worth it. The Carters were exceptionally elegant in the evening light.

IMG_20111016_162918.jpg

The droid was fickle. It doesn't take pictures well in low-light, nor into the sunlight, check out the full album (link at the bottom) if you would like to see the late afternoon presi pics into the sun rays ;) However, the Wild River valley, with it's past-peak foliage, was quite majestic.

IMG_20111016_163318.jpg

And then, something unexpected happened. I was visited by some locals! With the perfect opportunity for a photo... the droid died. Knowing the phone well, I knew I could turn it back on (takes about 2 minutes to load up and prepare the SD card, etc.) and snap a single photo before it would automatically shut down again. Luckily I had saved some granola in case I needed some more energy at some point, and was more than willing to share. I timed it perfectly and managed a quick pic before my new friends took their part of the meal off to stash it for the coming cold season.

IMG_20111016_163724.jpg

Knowing the woods would be lovely, but dark and deep, and also that I had many miles to go before sleep, I moved on. The trail between Hight and Carter Dome was a fine ridge-walk through the taiga. Another unexpected and pleasant surprise. I have a feeling the Carter Dome trail sans Hight bypass is not quite so nice. Someone will probably have to convince me it's worth skipping Hight to find out. :p

Topping out on Carter Dome I felt no need to hang around or search for viewpoints. I was a bit put off by the piles of broken glass there. :( Pausing for only a minute, more for sake of ritual than anything, I continued down. Not wanting to play the 2-minute-per-photo-attempt game with my dead phone, I kept the picture taking to a minimum. I did manage to capture George in his snow-capped glory and sunset glow, through a hole in the trees, though. (apologies for the pixelation, droid in low light conditions and all that yadda yadda)

IMG_20111016_171415.jpg

I did manage to snap one final picture on descent to the notch, capturing the late day horizon glow, and the grandeur of Wildcat and the cliffs and talus field, ponds, and hut of the notch.

IMG_20111016_173121.jpg

It was a bit disconcerting heading south down the ridge towards the hut in the fading light, knowing my car was quite a ways in the opposite direction. I knew these fears were unfounded as the trail was simply going towards the hut. More comforting was the fact that I could bail at the hut if I really needed to. The prospect of a long night in a hut with no blanket, or descent (or getting lost) on a relatively unknown trail in the dark wasn't very appealing. I'm much more comfortable doing that kind of thing knowing daylight is coming, not going. Anyway, the notch was beautiful, the trail around the pond was eroded, but gorgeous. The quarter of a mile back uphill to the 19MB trail was a little unwelcome at a time when I was a little tired but still trying to hustle. It was short, and I was heading back down 19MB in no time. Right about now this hike quickly became the thing I had dreaded. This was the part I knew was coming from the beginning but I made my bed and I had to sleep in it. This trail is a 2 mile long puddle from the notch back to the junction. Even with a headlamp it was not easy to stay dry, and after a few accidental "dips" in some rather deep pools on this so-called "trail" it was too late for the gaiters, I was soaked from the knees down. With no reason to bother at that point I plodded along. Thinking about the great time that had been and literally trying to hop past this section as quickly as I could. Back to the intersection of Carter Dome I was again on familiar terrain and much happier again. Why is it that the part of the trail that is so close to the river is the driest? Maybe because of the steepness of the side-hill nearer the road as opposed to the relatively more rounded areas above? Them's the breaks I suppose.

The soothing splash of the brook to my side as I followed the bob of my headlamp back to my car at was a nice way to end the walk. I suppose this side of the Whites ain't half bad after all. ;)

A few more pictures for anyone who's interested:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113151684718025230301/albums/5664621538983573105

Jacob, extremely well written report. Enjoyed it very much. Seems that many trips reports focus on dazzling the masses with the above-treeline photos, and there is precious little attention payed to the actual written word. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE photography and gawking at amazing photos, but I wish there was more writing to accompany the photos. I'm a enjinere, so i don't right two good, but I'd love to read more reports like yours.

And to address the Mt Hight issue about half way through the report........NO, NOTHING is worth bypassing Mt Hight. :)

Jacob, extremely well written report. Enjoyed it very much. Seems that many trips reports focus on dazzling the masses with the above-treeline photos, and there is precious little attention payed to the actual written word. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE photography and gawking at amazing photos, but I wish there was more writing to accompany the photos. I'm a enjinere, so i don't right two good, but I'd love to read more reports like yours.

And to address the Mt Hight issue about half way through the report........NO, NOTHING is worth bypassing Mt Hight. :)

Thanks Billy! I clearly don't have the kind of equipment that can provide that kind of photography. I do enjoy a beautiful picture as much as the next person too, though. Maybe one out of a few hundred cellphone photos comes out to what I would consider "great". If I had the resources currently I'd consider splurging for a good camera, even if only for my own records. I don't like looking at a picture I took and thinking "darn, that didn't look at all like what I saw".

I could probably stand to proof read my own reports better as well. I noticed quite a few capitalization inconsistencies. I could clarify or expand on the meaning of things or the points I'm trying to convey better. I don't feel like I'm that gud with werds either sometimes. ;) I just want to share some experiences. :D

Great report and pics on a wonderful hike to one of my very favorite summits. This is the first trip report I've read in a LONG time as they generally bore me with details ad nauseum that I couldn't give a rat's A@$ about. Thanks for sharing; fantastic!

Great report on great hike. :)

You and the hubby are partially to blame for the choice in location, so thank you!

Great report and pics on a wonderful hike to one of my very favorite summits. This is the first trip report I've read in a LONG time as they generally bore me with details ad nauseum that I couldn't give a rat's A@$ about. Thanks for sharing; fantastic!

With so many pro photographers on the board it's a little intimidating posting a report with not so pro pix so I figure I'll do my best to keep the readers entertained. :eek: Thanks!

Nice report. For various reasons I've ended up coming off that range real late a couple of different times. It can be very eerie up there in the dark, especially this late in the season.

Nice TR! great pics! Your description of the hike easily reminded me of similar situations. The forest seems a little more serious, a little more powerful and wild as darkness falls. love it :)

Great trip report and wonderful shots! The views from Mount Hight look phenomenal. Hopefully, I'll make it out there at some point. I think that shot of MW through the trees is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Karl

At the risk of sounding like an echo-machine, I agree with others who have commented. Your report is well-written, and your terrific photos help to enhance your story.