ANNOYING TAKE-HOME CAMPING HABITS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so glad it's not just me :D
I was kinda looking around my house saying to myself "why can't I get this stuff put away". I of course know the answer, everyday items belong amongst us, not stored away, just wasted trips to the cellar gear corner.

Wife hates the pee bottle next to the bed. Hey - sometimes the house is chilly!!

My wife gets super annoyed when I wake her at 5:00 am to let her know I'm leaving. Instead of falling back asleep, she's lays awake wondering why her husband is crazy enough to get up at that hour of the morning.

I suppose it goes without saying that she doesn't do a whole lot of hiking with me. ;)

Campmor catalogs, various maps, guides, and books - these are the items that she's grown used to, mostly ignoring the fact that they're strewn all over the apartment. Any gear must be kept in the hall closet, and must have the least amount of organization to it; so much that when one opens the door quickly, they're showered with Nalgene bottles, gloves, first aid kits, headlamps, etc. Now that really annoys her!

I laughed when I wrote it - Sorry, not even I am that brazen!

MrAmeche said:
My wife gets super annoyed when I wake her at 5:00 am to let her know I'm leaving. Instead of falling back asleep, she's lays awake wondering why her husband is crazy enough to get up at that hour of the morning.
After you have been married another couple of years you stop waking her - just get up and sneak out...next thing she knows it is 7pm and you are pulling back into the driveway! :D

Tell you how bad it gets(or is that how good it gets?) :confused:
When my wife and I were looking at the house we purchased up north,we both walked into the garage,looked at each other and started talking about what a great gear room it would be.And it's ground level-no final assault on the summit when we get home with our gear.

Oh look,there's a place to live attached to it :D

MrAmeche said:

I always sleep in the guess room when I go hiking in the morning. I usually wake up at 4:30 am and I got pretty good at sneaking out.

Once friends came pick-me up at 5 am and I woke up the baby because the wind slammed the door. I rushed in my friend's car, yelling : QUICK ! drive ! drive !

Poor boyfriend who started his day so early because of me, with two very awake and crying kids. Not to mention that I was leaving for the full week-end !!

timmus said:
I always sleep in the guess room when I go hiking in the morning. I usually wake up at 4:30 am and I got pretty good at sneaking out.

Whoa, of course! The guest room! That's a great idea, thanks for the tip. I'll see if she goes for it.

I realized that if I've got plans to hang out after work for the evening and it'll be a while before I get home, a fresh pair of socks can make all the difference in my outlook for the evening! Much like a fresh pair of socks after lunch on the trail! Pure luxury!

Also, after I've been on the trail for a few days I miss outdoor peeing....haven't really figured out why yet. I guess, if I can pee outside whenever I have to it means I'm hiking and I like that!

The nalgene filled with hot water was a revelation for cold weather hiking and even better for my cold 45 minute commute to work in the a.m.!

I tend to pack very light for any trips I take, even none hiking ones. People I travel with think I'm nuts. "You've got enough stuff for 4 days in there?"

I carry snacks when ever I'm going to be away from food for more than 4 hours.