Another Bald Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntlerPeak

Reaction score
This Bald Mt is the one in Woodford Vt 2857 feet in elevation. So it makes nobody's list but as it has a trail and I needed to add another summit to my list this one fit. When hiking solo having a trail is rather an essential and as I am running low on unclimbed trailed peaks this Bald Mt looked appealing. The current quest is to bag 1000 different peaks and this one became 739 on that list. The plan is to add Jay and Big Jay on the 9th. So this one constitutes a warm up.

It is a bit more than two miles to the summit with an ascent of 1580 feet which places this in the moderately steep category. The Green Mt Day Hikers Guide has the trail description but there are a few disagreements between the ground and written word. The trail is found next to the water tower as stated in the book, however, the only available parking is on the roadside. The field described in the book has a no parking sign in it. It is pretty hard to believe the cabin noted in the book as .4 in from the trailhead is that far in. It seemed to be much closer.

I must have been feeling a bit "salty" as it took less than an hour to reach the trail jct at the two mile point on the ridge and my altimeter revealed a 1500 foot ascent completed. The trail is in excellent condition and is well maintained and pretty much as represented in the guide.

The last water is found after climbing 300 feet where the trail makes its final stream crossing. For the rest of the climb there is no water. About .2 below the ridge there is a signed trail jct where a side trail leads a quarter mile to a spring. The trail appears lightly used and I did not explore to see if the spring were useable.

Though the summit is treed there are windows that offer views of Glastenberry, Haystack and some unidentified geen bumps. I went back down to the jct where the trail leaves the ridge to eat lunch as this is where the best views are found. In addition to the summits listed above Greylock was standing directly south and looked fairly impressive.

All in all this is a worth while hike offering interesting views, a good trail and what most here would consider an easy hike.