another perfect day - Meeker Hollow & Old Clump (Cat100's)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
These happen every so often. The confluence of weather, destination, conditions, company with an overwhelming feeling of "I'm really happy I'm out here today to enjoy this".

Bookah and I met Ralph and Maddy in downtown Roxbury and then out to Upper Meeker Hollow Rd. Cold, chilly and a sky that foretold that it was going to be a nice day. Parked past the farm after saying Hi and asking if it was OK to park. The road was icy so we did a series of ballet steps until the snowy surface gave us better traction higher up. We cut uphill eventually and then followed the ridge to MH's wooded summit. By now the sun was higher, azure blue sky setting off the rime coated branches of the trees. Great views thru the trees in different directions with the most impressive being the ski slopes of Ski Plattekill right in our faces. After a few snacks and snaps on the summit, we turned it into a loop and headed down to UMH Road.
Having Micro Spikes was a life saver for the bipeds. Bookah's built in crampons seemed up to the task but for some water ice sections.

In order to avoid wasting any part of the day, we were off to Old Clump. The blue sky was cloudless as we headed up OC, alternating between islands of Autumn leaves and patches of snow. The snow got deeper and covered more of the ground the higher we climbed and after poking holes on the trailless route it was time to don the snowshoes. This was like putting jets on our boots and after exploring alternative sites, we were able to declare the top.

A quick bite to eat ensued and wearing snowshoes on the upper half of the mountain, we were back to the car in no time. Absent an important family obligation this evening, it would have been fun to snag a third one for the day. Ralph was elated to get to 77/102 ,but Maddy will be closing in on him before long.
Superlatives all the way around today. Next up, maybe the Moresville
Range peaks or another on Ralph and Maddy's diminishing Cat100 list.
Thanks guys, you can probably tell I had a great time. Pictures to follow.