Man down (but not out) on fabulous 48 finish on N. (and S.) Twin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamW

Reaction score
What a winter this has been! So many great hikes for me, and with such great weather for virtually all of them. My all-season finish on North Twin was no exception, with bright blue skies, temps in the high 30s and 40s, and a gentle breeze. Add in my first undercast, great views, a little drama, and fun companions and it was a nearly perfect finish!

For some reason, I was not able to assemble a group of usual suspects, so did the trip with an AMC group led by grid finisher Joe Comuzzi. I'd hiked with Joe before and enjoyed his easy-going style and great hiking stories.

This trip will add another tale to his collection.

We started at the end of Little River Road taking the snowmobile trail to Haystack Rd to the summer trailhead. The snowmobile track is rutted, muddy, and wet with ice underneath. Haystack road is sandy and easy on the feet, particularly at the end of a long day. The beginning of the North Twin trail was devoid of snow, but slushy. With Little River running high, the bushwhack on the left bank, which avoids two crossings, is a no-brainer and very easy to follow, mostly higher up on the bank.

At the final crossing, the river is wide and fast with no clear rock hops, although there are a couple of trees uprooted by hurricane Irene in the official crossing spot. They looked dicey to me when I first saw them. Just a bit up-river was a wide snow bridge with faint tracks across. June and I were in the lead, and as the lightest member of the group, she volunteered to go first. After the first 8 ft or so was a section that looked questionable as it covered the fastest part of the stream. Sure enough, one of June's feet punched through. She wisely backed off. Joe, who was at the back of the group, and probably concerned for my finish, said he would give it a try a little lower down where the bridge looked a little thicker. He ventured out making steady and slow progress. We all stared in rapt attention, although two other guys started out as well keeping about 10 feet back (personally, I hate this and am a bit of a snow bridge Nazi-- one at a time! But it proved to be the right thing to do on this hike)

We watched as Joe reached about the 40% mark, and then all of the sudden he disappeared. Now you see him, now you don't. Whump, completely under the bridge, not a shred of him showing, at least from my angle. Steve, who was behind him, thought quickly, dropped his pack and started crawling in Joe's direction, pole outstretched. Joe's hand and head reappeared, then part of his upper body. He grabbed the outstretched pole and Steve helped haul him out, unbuckling his pack along the way. According to Joe, the pack actually saved him, keeping him from being swept under the ice. The current was very strong, he said, but the water was not deep. The bridge, it seems, was several feet above the actual water level. He was able to crawl up on a rock fairly quickly then clamber out. The ice held as the three men returned to safety. Wow, that was scary, and could have turned out much, much, worse. Trooper that he is, Joe got down to business changing clothes and getting on with the hike. Several us scouted alternative routes but didn't come up with much. Then we saw Steve walk across the fallen trees. There is a lower one where you can walk on while holding onto and leaning over the upper tree. After the lower tree ends you climb up and shimmy across the higher tree’s trunk for a while then grab some branches, stand up and walk for 8 ft or so. Steve made it look easy so Jen followed. No troubles. It was actually very easy, in my opinion, and I am pretty cautious about these things. A couple of other people were pretty nervous, but ultimately managed.

IMG_8288.JPG

Once we were safely across the river, the grade steepened and the snow quickly became deeper. Lots of postholing. Time for snowshoes! I led from here to the summit trying to keep a pace everyone could live with. It is a relentless climb, quite steep in spots. We started to get great views towards the Presidentials with an undercast over the entire North Country. It was my first experience of an undercast and it did not disappoint.
IMG_8310.JPG

After the grade moderates, there is a great lookout on a rock outcropping. We took a nice long rest and let the slower members catch up, just soaking up the views on this beautiful day. Although I put on a light fleece for our rest stops, most of the day was spent in a short-sleeve shirt.
IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG

Then onto the true summit of North Twin for my 48 finish and mini celebration taking advantage of both traditions-- first to the summit and the pole tunnel as well as hugs and handshakes. Then we enjoyed some beer, fancy chocolates, and cookies I had brought for the occasion at the lookout over the Pemi. Great views of Franconia Ridge, Garfield, Owl's Head.
IMG_8346.JPG

and back to the undercast
IMG_8338.JPG

No one wanted to leave, but we had another summit to ascend. Luckily the walk from North to South Twin is very easy with very moderate grades and great views along the way.

The bald summit of South Twin is amazing. The undercast had burned off by now, but the 360 views, particularly back to the Pemi are amazing. I had just been on the Bonds the weekend before and it was great to see them again.
IMG_8387.JPG

We took another long break, eating and relaxing and enjoying this incredible spot in the warm sun.
IMG_8382.JPG

IMG_8375.JPG

It was totally appropriate that my final hike of the 48 included South Twin, because it was here, 2 and-a-half years ago that the hiking bug bit, and bit hard. At the time, I hadn't been physically active in years and had joined my friend Peter's trip to Galehead hut. We nabbed Galehead the afternoon we arrived and South Twin the next morning. I had a great time despite being so out of shape my muscles literally could not hold me up on the walk out. On the gentle Gale River trail I fell about 9 times, my legs shaking. I could barely walk for days. But I couldn't get the mountains out of my mind as they had lodged in my heart. When I recovered sufficiently, I started training, doing daily short hikes up local hills with a weighted pack and then in the Blue Hills. When I felt ready, I tackled my first winter ascent, Tecumseh, five months later solo. I was ready I guess, as I beat a group of 20-year old meetup hikers that started just ahead of me to the summit by about 20 mins. South Twin on Saturday was my 22nd winter peak.

The hike out was pleasant. More great views, brilliant sunshine, fun companions. A bit of slippery, sticky snow, and an occasional snowshoe posthole but that is to be expected with temps this warm. What a great hike and a fitting conclusion of my 48 list. Many thanks to my family for giving me the space to hike almost every weekend over the past two months in pursuit of this goal, which has been a great excuse to hike just as much as I want to, which is pretty much all the time. If only it paid the bills!

All of the pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/phwilmot/NSTwin48Finish31712#

Congratulations!!!

I had actually thought about doing this hike over the weekend, but with the reports of snow bridges going out and the warm weather I decided against it...forgot about the tree!
Good luck on the winter list!

Excellent trip report with some really valuable information, especially for those who pack too light. Congratulations!

Great hike!

Thanks for the great report; had a great time and learned a few new things. A few thoughts/questions:

When Joe went in, I noted (and Joe later confirmed) that the current was strong and immediately pulled his legs downstream, under the remaining snow/ice bridge, while he struggled to get his footing. Although he regained his footing quickly, what would the outcome have been if he had his snowshoes on, rather than on his pack? My guess is that they would acted much like a sea anchor, exerting a much greater pull on Joe's body. On the other hand, would having the shoes on have prevented the bridge from collapsing? Based on the size of the hole (at lease 6' in diameter), probably not, but something to think about.

Joe had his pack on and buckled, which likely kept him from going under the snow bridge. It also provided me with a great handhold!

The poles (Joe's, not mine. I wasn't carrying any) turned out to be a very useful "haul out" tool; they allowed me to back away from the edge before leaning into the haul/climb out move.

I am really happy everything worked out well, but there are so many things that could have gone south quickly; what if I went into the drink as well? Then the group would have been faced with pulling two 200+ lbs guys out of the drink!

In hindsight, it would have been easier just to walk across the big tree! :)

I had actually thought about doing this hike over the weekend, but with the reports of snow bridges going out and the warm weather I decided against it...forgot about the tree!
Good luck on the winter list!

Thanks MTNRUNR! I love winter hiking and am already looking forward to next year (I like summer hiking too though!)

Excellent trip report with some really valuable information, especially for those who pack too light. Congratulations!
You are right Ellen! Packing a change of clothes is a must in these conditions. It would have been a hike-ending incident without them.

Thanks for the great report; had a great time and learned a few new things. A few thoughts/questions:

Mansfield/AKA Steve, you were the hero of the hike. Thanks for your quick thinking, route scouting, and frequent helping hand to the other participants. I'm not sure we would have made it without you. And you are a lot of fun too! Thank you for sharing the day with me!

Congrats, Pam! I met you on Norm's W48 finisher on Flume, and knew you'd finish up soon. What a fabulous day you had for your finish.

This incident sounds like everyone's worst nightmare. I wonder how many hikers can say that they:
1) Carry a full set of clothes suitable to continue the trip
2) Have these clothes packed so they don't get wet when immersed in a current
3) Have the nerve to continue after such an event instead of heading back

great trip report and pics

that could have turned out much worse...scary stuff

we have used the trees a couple of times in the method you described ..pretty easy going

congrats on your finish

I always carry a full set of dry clothes, but my thought is that they are for getting home safely, not for continuing the trip. After I have used my spare set, I no longer have a dry set.

Thanks Silverefox and Summerset! Of course I remember our Flume hike together, Summerset! It was great!

As for a spare set of clothes, I too carry a pair in a dry sack inside a trash-bag lined pack. And many others in this big group also had spares, so I don't think there was any real safety issue in continuing. The issue is nerves, as you point out Roy. Joe is a real trooper and has been in a lot hairier situations with his trademark easy-going good humor. I'm sure his level of experience helps. I know I was certainly shaking after the incident, and was thinking of who I could plead with to join me the following day if we had turned around. Luckily the tree really does provide a safe crossing.

A trip to remember in any case!

I do know of another not-quite-so-dramatic incident where someone was dunked at the beginning of a winter hike and continued after changing clothes.

This incident sounds like everyone's worst nightmare. I wonder how many hikers can say that they:
While being able to change is certainly an issue, Joe was in significant danger of being swept under the ice and drowned (fast death) or trapped and killed by hypothermia (slow death).

How to avoid being trapped under/by moving water is part of the safety training for white water boaters. (For instance keeping one's feet up when swimming because a foot caught on the bottom can result in one being held under by the current. Also don't get caught under a fallen tree (a "strainer") or ice--the branches/ice and current can hold one under.)

Doug

Nice job and great trip report. Been on a few winter hikes that had people get soaked and in all three spare clothes saved the day and allowed the trip to continue (all were towards the beginning of the trip).

In the fall we used those blowdowns to cross and would have probably opted for that route first since me and deteriorating snow bridges don't seem to get along.