Another Winter Boot question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
It is starting to get colder, and while my GoreTex hiking boots have been fine so far, I anticipate getting out there on the trails all winter and in potentially much colder/more severe conditions. Last winter I used a Kamik pack boot with insulation down to 40 below. I loved them except for the fact that it seems I have a narrow foot and ankle and they were too roomy to fit well, thought techincally the right size. Without a lace-up style, I found no way of really tightening them properly and especially with snowshoes on, we found that my foot would come way up the boot in particular while climbing (very inefficient, time-wasting, energy-expensive and annoying). I tried them on recently and they feel even bigger than they did, so despite their warmth, they aren't going to work for me this year.
I've seen people here say generally nice things about the Salomon B52 and LL Bean's winter hiker has also been mentioned. I can purchase the Salomon, North Face's Lifty winter boot, or a Timberland Snow Lizard boot all at about $70. I'm wondering if any of you have opinions about any of these one way or another. I don't think any of them have an insulating pack that comes out of the boot, which I thought I might prefer since they are easier to dry and just seemed to be so incredibly warm to me. Any thoughts about the differences between boots with and without the pack would be helpful as well.
Thanks for any advice in advance :),

Last edited:
http://www.neice.com/store/merchant...de=MTR&Product_Code=SnowbowW&Category_Code=53

My wife has used these for 2 seasons now and loves them. She generally sticks to the trails with some occasional off trail slide type stuff. She uses grivel G12 Classic crampons and they fit very well. Depending on the size of your foot, you might need to modify the adjustment rails. She has a small foot and they needed to be cut. I think Grivel now has small rails available

I choose to use Mountaineering boots.

That looks like a great boot, and I have heard only excellent things about Salomon generally .... Never heard of this one specifically and the place where I work does not carry them unfortunately --- I am fairly wedded to the idea of saving a bundle and getting something we do sell, though I am checking out ebay and craigslist also to see what bargains might be available. Thanks for the advice and the link, though ... I appreciate it.