Any up to date info on Moriah?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, all.
I'm already itching for the weekend and am looking at Moriah for #30-something on my list. My intended route is Carter-Moriah. Has anyone been up in that neck of the woods lately? I did search, but didn't see any recent trail conditions. I'm obviously planning to be well prepared for anything that I encounter, but a nice heads up is always appreciated (i.e. def. need snowshoes, etc).

Thanks for the help and happy trails!

No first hand but from what I've read & from my memory, you'll find some snow, some bare ledges about 2/3's of the way up & a fair amount of rotting snow below the summit starting around 3,400 feet.

Snowshoes? Some will say no, some will say yes but they likely won't help much & some will say they don't weigh much, especially since you won't need any of the other winter gear stuff. I'll be up in the Whites myself & I expect I'll see 75 - 80% of the people without snowshoes & the rest with them.

I was up on Moriah on Sunday. I took the Carter-Moriah trail and left my snowshoes in the car...yeah! I encountered the first bits of snow around Quimby's Pillow (sign is missing). The last two bumps still had quite a bit of snow but it was easy enough to walk to the side of the"rail" or just stay on top of it. I did post through a few times....but not a big deal. Hope this helps.

-MEB

Thanks bunches for the info.
The weather is looking iffy for Friday, but I'm probably going to give it a shot anyways and just leave my good camera at home since there won't be very good views. I'd rather not have to bring my snowshoes, so it sounds like I'll take your advice and leave them in the car as well.
As usual, I'll post a trail report once I get back (assuming the weather doesn't get worse).