Anyone been to Voyageurs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
Planning a canoe/camp trip to Voyageurs National Park next year and wondering if anyone has been there and might want to make suggestions. Places not to miss. Things to do in the park and/or the surrounding area. Any responses are much appreciated.

Some general info to keep in mind:

If you're crossing large lakes, be sure to use your map and compass diligently. It's pretty tough sometimes to distinguish one island or peninsula from another from the seat of a canoe on the larger lakes. (If you lack experience canoeing on large lakes -- also plan your route to take advantage of protective shorelines, to avoid wind-whipped reaches.)

Walleyes are mighty fine eating, way better than lobster. Sunfish are good eating. Lake trout are good eating. Northern pike are not so much (except to us Finlanders and a few other hard-core piscivores.)

You could have temps in the 40s, or the 80s--90s, any time in June -- August. (My grandfather had seen snow in all 12 months about forty miles southeast of the park.) Treat threatening weather seriously -- the area is susceptible to very severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. When the sky turns green, you're in for the real thing -- you should be off the lake long before that. Almost all bad weather will come from the southwest, west, or northwest.

Motorboats of all sizes and kinds (except "personal watercraft," aka jet skis) are allowed throughout the park. There's a sizable flotilla of rented houseboats that cruises the lakes. This means that you may find it hard to achieve the quiet of the BWCA. (I would have said also the "solitude," but the BWCA is really not a place to escape humankind either. Even in winter. It's not the Northeast, but it's not what it was 20 and 30 years ago, either.) If you're intent on a "wilderness" experience, you might do better in the BWCA or in Quetico Provincial Park.

Be prepared for black flies in May, mosquitoes in June -- August, and deerflies and horseflies in July -- August. (What's the difference between a deerfly and a horsefly? The former cannot bite through denim. :eek: )

Pets are banned in the backcountry, as in most national parks. The rest of the park rules are at Voyageurs National Park Web site.

Let me know if you have more specific questions, either here or by private message. And have fun planning your trip!

EDIT: Brother-in-law just called from Minnesnowta. He recommends a visit to Kettle Falls Lodge (it's on the National Historic Register, if I recall correctly) and a rock garden (erected by some ex-Chicago architect.) And his buddy who was there last week mentioned "lots of bears."

Last edited: