anyone interested in heading into the presidentials next weekend? (2-12ish)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtlukekultv

Reaction score
this is my first post...ever, sorry about any jitters, i'm trying to not seem to n-n-n-nervous. basically i'm just a beginner, a pup, a college freshman (literally) but i want to learn some stuff about climbing mountains in the winter. if you've got a little experience, and wouldn't mind imparting some of it on me next weekend in the presidentials, i would be eternally thankful. i've got all the romantic notions about washington, and if this incredible weather holds out for another week, i know i'll be at pinkham notch next saturday morning. LET ME KNOW, thanks.

island-bound in maine,
luke

Be prepared...

Luke,

The Presidentail Range in winter is no joke. High winds, very low temps, icey trail conditions, and avalanches in certain areas.

What do you have for winter backpacking gear?

I'm tenatively headed up to backpack Mt. Chococrua the weekend of 2/19. Feel free to tag along, if you have the proper gear. I plan on staying on the mountain for the night. Most likely Camp Penacook, but possibly Jim Liberty Cabin if I can figure out how to get th key.

I'm not being one of those guys saying "oh he said he's a newbie, so he must be stupid and unprepared" I'm just looking out for ya.

thanks so much for the offer, but i actually have to go to portland that weekend. my life is pretty cluttered right now, and next weekend is looking like the only one that is going to be available for the rest of the month. i think i'm pretty well armed with snowshoes, crampons, axe, all the basics really, i just want to try some more challenging stuff now i think.

keeping my ear to the ground,
luke

Hi. If you really are at the point where you "want to learn some stuff about climbing mountains in the winter" you might watch for any trip that gets posted for next weekend (you might also look at the "Northeast" and "find a hiking partner" forums at http://forums.backpacker.com/index.jspa). There is plenty to learn about what works for you in terms of heat/sweat management, footwear, layering strategies, etc. - and these things can be accomplished on lower elevation peaks and the trip won't be as dependent on weather conditions. Just staying warm enough without getting wet from sweat takes practice, and you don't want to be soaked in sweat when you run into withering winds far above tree line.

Here's a link with some really useful info on the Presidential traverse from an outfit that does well respected guided winter traverses (other pages also have good info):

http://www.chauvinguides.com/PresiTraverse/presiguide.htm

You might also want to check out the ice festival info. The festival is next weekend:

http://www.ime-usa.com/ice_festival/index.html

Last edited:
Could be tough this weekend!

vtlukekultv said:
this is my first post...ever, sorry about any jitters, i'm trying to not seem to n-n-n-nervous. basically i'm just a beginner, a pup, a college freshman (literally) but i want to learn some stuff about climbing mountains in the winter. if you've got a little experience, and wouldn't mind imparting some of it on me next weekend in the presidentials, i would be eternally thankful. i've got all the romantic notions about washington, and if this incredible weather holds out for another week, i know i'll be at pinkham notch next saturday morning. LET ME KNOW, thanks.

island-bound in maine,
luke

With a foot or MORE of fresh snow and the accompaning avalanche danger this summitting weekend could be suicidal... good luck though if you do try!

see http://www.tuckerman.org/avalanche/

i think i'm going to go ahead and pass on this weekend. death doesn't sound like fun, so i'll just tromp around acadia on my snowshoes like usual.

luke

You might conisder checking out the other 3 White Mountains trips posted (Bondcliff, Liberty and the Twins) for that w/e - for nice peaks where avalanche is not rally a worry.

vtlukekultv - please don't take this the wrong way - I am just giving some advice. If I have misinterperted your skill set - I am sorry.

Mount washington is not the place to start - start with lower mountains and build up. I am taking a guess here but you probably have no crampons or ice axe skills and even the easiest route (lion head) is pretty steep if you have never climbed before. Take a 3 day mountaineering course. I have taken things with IME and Chauvin and they are both top notch. Yes - they are expensive but worth every penny as they are skills you will have forever.

Its is not a hike in winter in my opinion, you have to know how look for avalanche terrain, heat sweat management, how to walk properly in crampons, how to properly use an ice axe for self belay, etc....

sorry for coming off and sounding strong here, but when people with no winter skills just go to climb washington in the winter , bad things can happen. Most mountaineering course climax with a washignton ascent - you would be better off with a guide your first time around. Whay start with washington - do some 3000 footers first and then some 4000, and then washington - much more fun that way. Plus it it is a goal to work for.

have fun in whatever you do and be safe.

Last edited: