Anyone Know What's Doing in the Catskills???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeOneill

Reaction score
Here in NYC it was in the 50s this morning, all the snow has melted and temperatures are now dropping. I'm thinking of heading up to the Catskills for a hike tomorrow, and just wonder what to expect. Was there much of a thaw up there? Is it likely everything is going to be glaced over? Should I bring snowshoes? Stabilicers? This is my first winter hiking in the Catskills and so I just don't have any experience to guide me. Thanks all.

Chip said:
melting and rain soaked snow, mud, over-flowing streams and run-off will freeze tonight and tomorrow night. :eek:
This weekend may require 12 point crampons in the parking lot, IMHO.

Indeed, if you don't have crampons, consider buying some soon, (there are numerous crampon threads on this board). Crampons are an essential winter hiking tool. Stabilizers and snowshoes are good to have, but all 3 have their distinctive places.

The Catskill 3500 Club Yahoo Group is another good reference for hikers considering heading to the Catskills http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3500club , and they have a crampon discussion going on now too.

Tom Rankin said:
Indeed, if you don't have crampons, consider buying some soon, (there are numerous crampon threads on this board). Crampons are an essential winter hiking tool. Stabilizers and snowshoes are good to have, but all 3 have their distinctive places.

The Catskill 3500 Club Yahoo Group is another good reference for hikers considering heading to the Catskills http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3500club , and they have a crampon discussion going on now too.

Oh yes, I have crampons, thank you. I guess I'll just bring everything in the car and use what the conditions require.

I have seen reports of 2-3 inches of snow last night at Slide Mt, Phoenicia, Westkill, Maplecrest, and Ashland before a change to freezing rain and rain. The rain overspread the entire Catskill region. High temperatures Friday did not appear to exceed 34 in mountain valleys, so there probably has been minimal melting of the snow base. Crusty snow, ice on exposed ledges, and icy parking areas will probably be the norm this weekend.

MikeOneill said:
Oh yes, I have crampons, thank you. I guess I'll just bring everything in the car and use what the conditions require.

Don't judge the conditions of a mountain by the conditions at the trail head. Assume it will be worse up high.

Theres about 6" of crusty snow at 1900'(Very light crust) With the below 0 temps this week , ice was forming quickly. Last nights snow ,followed by sleet and rain, with falling temps ,36 this morning,30 at present,should make for slippery going on packed trails. Plan for winter.

You'll want pointy things.

I agree with Chip. Here in Oneonta, just north of the Cats, we got alot of sleet and snow that started melting by mid-day making pretty icy conditions. I would guess that crampons will be essential on the trails tomorrow especially if the temps drop tonight. It should be alot of fun. Wish I could get out with ya. Enjoy.