Anyone Use Mountain-Forecast.com?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
A recent EMS blog about hiking had a reference to the site Mountain-Forecast.com. It allows you to select a mountain range and then an actual peak for a custom forecast for that exact area for 7 days with maps, etc for the general region. Anybody been using/following the site? Seems like an awesome site if it is accurate. I spot checked some peaks around Washington and compared against the MWOBS High Summits forecast and it seems to correlate. I find the MWOBS to generally be very accurate but it typically is only applicable to that immediate area.

Just curious if anyone is using. Having a solid forecast is very important to most hikes, especially at this time of year. If anyone recommends any other sites I'd be curious to know. I live in CT so I don't get the local TV station news for up there.

I use Mountain-Forecast frequently. I've found their forecasts to be pretty spot on, agreeing with not only the MWOBS, but the NWS point forecasts. The only issue I have, is that many lesser peaks in the Whites aren't in their database (yet), though with a little extrapolation with data from nearby peaks, an informed decision can be made.

The sole commercial TV station in the state of New Hampshire doesn't know much about forecasting mountain weather. You might want to add these to your list:

"Eye on the Sky" audio forecasts and text forecasts from the Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury. They do a mountain forecast for the Adirondacks, Greens and the NH portion of the Whites as part of their "Recreational Forecast". The forecasts are also broadcast and streamed by Vermont Public Radio.

Live NOAA forecasts and conditions (including MWOBS) are streamed at NOAA Weather Radio.

Last edited: