Assateague 4/19-20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxs

Reaction score
Jim and I had planned this trip a long time ago so when the week of the trip rolled around we were raring to go. Unfortunately, when we were planning, the NPS told us not to worry about reserving a spot in the campgound on Friday night because April is early in the season. Of course, the campsite was fully booked and we ended up staying at Frontiertown; obligatory cowboy on rearing stallion in front of the site and the "sheriff" at the check in. (OK, It was a clean and well main campground). We stopped at the ranger station on Friday night but had gotten there too late to get a back country permit. The rangers warned us to be early on Saturday to get a site; at 8 am on Friday there were 20 people in line! We lucked out on Sat and got the last site at Pine Tree site about a 5 mile paddle down the bay. The ramp was buslting when we arrrvied and soon we had our kayaks packed and ready to go. I was pleasantly surprised at how much we could put in the hatches. Diet pepsi can go on these overnight trips!. As can beer. We started paddling about 930. The weather was gorgeous; blue skies, bright sun and low winds. the loaded kayaks really handled well in the water. There were alot of duck blinds along the shore. Really minimal in the way of birds though, a bit of a dissappointment. Maybe we were there a little too early for the migration. We did see some common terns, herring gulls and hooded mergansers. Shortly into the paddle we came across a group of ponies crossing the bay to a small island off of Assateague. We sat in our boats and watched this" migration" for some time. The horses were still on the island the next day. We had a quick stop for an early lunch. We made quick time to the Pine Hill camp site. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the sites were at this site considering how much use they get and how many people were camping there (they allow 25 people at the site). We set up camp and decided to walk to the beach before continuing our explorations. We encountered a group of ponies along the way; we were both hesistant to pass each other. Finally, the horses bolted into the woods and we continued along the way. It was much cooler at the beach due to the breeze coming off the ocean. There were alot of vehicles on the beach with surf fishers. Despite the vehicles, the beaches were pristine. Later, we continued our explorations. By Pine, there is a vacation home that was abandoned after the NPS bought the island. There was all sorts of abandoned stuff there including cars and a dune buggy. I also think there was some poison ivy since both Jim and I have itchy rashes. There was lots of wood around the camp site so we were able to have a nice campfire, complete with smores. The night was lit up by the full moon. You hated to go to bed. The weather forecast was calling for thunderstorms and rain the next day so we got an early start. There was wind and some choppy water. Not as bad as on the Delaware Bay last fall. Jim has a rudder so manuvering for him was easier; I have a skeg and struggled in a few places. Still, Depsite a few stops we made quick time and were back at the launch with the kayaks loaded on the car in about 2 hours. We took a COLD shower at the beach showers in the campgound. Finished off the weekend at the Dogfish Head microbrewery in Rehoboth. YUM, 90 minute IPA's! (Food was average). It was a great weekend and a fine introduction to kayak camping. I am looking forward to my next trip. Yes, there are pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/user/crennin

Carol. beautiful pics.....your last one "I forgot my shoes", well I forgot my water shoes after we pulled out at Batso, so if anyone finds a pair of NRS size 13 zippered shoes please contact me :mad:

Loved the pony bridge, Jim's bowel problem, always wondered what kayaks do when the float away, nice shots of turtle shell.....and Jim with the ponies in background

Forget the beer and soda, it's all about the smores!

Sounds like a freat time...i need to look this post up again in a few months, I'm hopefully going on a club trip in November and I want to camp out.....sorry we didn't hook up this week, the Mullica was beautiful but in this case, size does matter....gotta go with a canoe or plastic boat no bigger than 14-15 ft...I'll post something this weekend...take care...

Nice pics Carol and sounds like a great trip..

Do you know how far that is from say Ocean City, MD? My father's house in Lewes, DE is about 30 minutes from Ocean City. I had some strange thing that I thought Assateague was in NC....

Jay

p.s. David my log pile is now ALOT smaller as I bucked up about 10 rounds now (surely about another Cord of wood :) )

Assateague is just south of Ocean City - minutes. In retrospect, we could have paddled further south but bad weather forcast for Sunday and no backcountry camping spots available further south than Pine Tree made our decision for us. I'd be up for another trip in the fall. I can'e imagine how crowded it must be in the summer.

David, so close but work schedule wouldn't let me shake free for a paddle. Jim, Jay , Warren and myself are planning on taking our yaks up tp Spencers in August for some Lake Champlain paddling...