AT in MA: North Mountain question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
I was thinking of hiking some of the AT in Mass with a friend of mine and was hoping for some info on the trail from Cheshire to Dalton over North Mt. My friend's kind of out of shape so I'm wondering how hard a trail it is. We've hiked alot in the Blue Hills and did Monadnock and (last year) some trails in Franconia Notch. But he hasn't hiked much lately and I don't want to over do it. Looks to be 8.3 miles and 2200' of elevation gain. How long would it take to do?

Also, are there any good views? I didn't find anything when I searched VFTT.

I can't for the life of me remember North Mountain... is it actually on the AT? I will have to look at the guidebook when I get home (I'm at work now) and maybe that will spark my memory.

At any rate, Cheshire to Dalton is a very easy going... you shouldn't have any trouble at all. The highlights of that section, for me, were Gore Pond, (I really like those beaver ponds, as long as I don't have to walk through them!) There are great views from the cobbles, which I think is right on the trail or else is a short blue blaze off it.

It took me and two others four hours to hike this section. I am not a fast hiker at all (and my hubby who was also on this trip is even slower) so if I could maintain a 2 mph pace, you should find the trail very easy.

- Ivy

poison ivy said:
I can't for the life of me remember North Mountain... is it actually on the AT? I will have to look at the guidebook when I get home (I'm at work now) and maybe that will spark my memory.

Yes, that's the name of the mountain the trail goes over in this section. It's got a high point of about 2250' and The Cobbles is the northern part of it. Gore Pond is a little south of the apparent summit. Looks like the trail goes by a little below and east of the actual summit.

poison ivy said:
At any rate, Cheshire to Dalton is a very easy going... you shouldn't have any trouble at all. The highlights of that section, for me, were Gore Pond, (I really like those beaver ponds, as long as I don't have to walk through them!) There are great views from the cobbles, which I think is right on the trail or else is a short blue blaze off it.

It took me and two others four hours to hike this section. I am not a fast hiker at all (and my hubby who was also on this trip is even slower) so if I could maintain a 2 mph pace, you should find the trail very easy.

- Ivy

Sounds good! I think we can go at a snail's pace and make a fun day of it.

Thanks Ivy

rocksnrolls said:
Yes, that's the name of the mountain the trail goes over in this section. It's got a high point of about 2250' and The Cobbles is the northern part of it. Gore Pond is a little south of the apparent summit. Looks like the trail goes by a little below and east of the actual summit.

Okay, I probably just thought the mountain was called the Cobbles! :)

- Ivy

info MA AT

hey rocksnrolls

ivy is right gore pond is sweet. water may be an issue so fill-up when ever you can, if you guys did monadnock you'll do fine here. If you think you might need an easyer stretch then check out the section from the parking spot on high st, to pittsfield rd. Wanner hill, is nice or do south to north for a real easy stretch in the beginng to get back into the grove :D

RnR, the trail is relatively easy, especially if you go from Dalton to Cheshire. The trail from Cheshire to the Cobbles is a little steep, but not too bad. The entire mountain that lies between Cheshire and Dalton is called North Mountain, there is no particular peak with that name. The hike shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours.

Gore Pond is kind of a misnomer. I was backpacking that section years ago on a very hot day. The thought of taking a cooling dip in Gore Pond was the only thing that kept us going. Needless to say, we quickly changed the name in our guide books to 'Gore Beaver Swamp". But it is a very pretty spot. Back then, the trail also went by Anthony Pond, which is a water supply for Dalton. The trail has long since been rerouted away from there.

The view from the Cobbles is delightful! Stretching from Cheshire Reservoir in the south to Greylock in front, and the Green Mnts. to the north.