AT Pinkham notch north

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Dawg

Reaction score
We are coming from south Georgia to hike the AT from Pinkham Notch north on Tuesday. We would like to know what the trail conditions are north of Pinkham Notch. Can we expect a great deal of snow on the trail or did the rains of last week clear the trail? We are looking for any current info you can supply on this section .
Thanks,
Swamp Dawg

I haven't been up north to the Whites yet this year, but there was another post mentioning snow at about 3000' elevation near Mt. Hale. ( http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6360 )

How far are you headed? One question I would ask before heading north past Gorham is whether Mahoosuc Notch is passable yet; the AT may well still be blocked with snow/ice.

Good luck & welcome to New England...

You can expect a lot of rain this week, possibly snow at higher elevations, and high water for all stream crossings. It has been unusually wet up here for the last several weeks. Check out the higher summits weather forecast from the Mt. Washington observatory site for current conditions. I think it would be safest to assume that late winter conditions still prevail. Check out the "trail conditions" section of VFTT and also take a look at trail condition reports from the Randolph Mountain Club boards. Have a blast!

I hiked up Surplus Mountain in Maine (south of East B Hill Road and north of Baldpate) today to make up for a few missed AT miles. Snow line began at about 2500 feet -- and there was up to a foot and half still left. It was mostly rotten snow and the snowshoes didn't help much. We topped out around 2800 feet or so... I'd imagine there's still a lot of snow above 3,000 feet.

-- Ivy

Thanks for the info. We do not have any idea on the use of snowshoes. I am thinking we may work south for a while till things warm up a bit. We have 19 days to enjoy the wonders of New England might as well use a bit of caution. Thanks life is neat on the trail. Swamp Dawg

I was on the Carter - Moriah trail (AT) this weekend and there is still 3 ft or more of snow on the ridge east of Pinkham. Snowshoes would be a definite as the temps warm.