At

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don L

Reaction score
I'm sitting here in the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA getting ready to start my adventure. I'm 16 days behind Darcy and 11 days behind Dave and Michelle. Tomorrow I'll try to catch them.
Happy Hiking,
Don L

nice good luck, sara and i plan to be on the trail this time next year!!!

can't freakin wait

I'm looking forward to hearing reports from you (and others from VFTT) as you all move north. :cool:

got an e-m fr Dave few days ago, they were holed up in holiday inn Hiawassee waiting for tornadic T-storms to pass thru and are surely well into NC by now. something tells me DonL may not be catching them and i also have a feeling that dave & M will complete their journey well under "book" time! :D :D :D

so i guess i missed some threads from the past.

who all (from VFTT) are on the AT right now???

when were there starting times????

do they have previous threads on trip itineraries???

I'm in Hiawassee, GA.
Had it all, heavy rain, snow (whiteout on Blood MT), and great weather.
My pack weighs a ton and my feet are sore.
Onward to Maine!
Happy hiking

Made it to Fontana Dam, not as far as I'd hoped in two weeks but still moving forward. Thunderstorms yesterday, and again today, but four goods days ahead! Meeting people who've run into Darcy, Neighbor Dave, and Chickety, but I'll really have to pick up the pace to catch those guys now. Had to do a couple "slack packs" and two zero days, but the feet and intestines are thankful. Also the appitite is improving. On to the Smokeys!
Happy Hiking,
Don L

more snow!!!!

well we got to the base of roan mtn at hughs gap and the thunder,lightenin',and mixed precip chased into this hillbilly hostel for the night. roan mtn is 6,285 feet tall and we'll be walkin' over it,and a bunch of 5000 ftrs tomorrow ,possibly in a snow storm,but, we already walked through a blizzard once,we ain't afeared!! we're tryin' to shift it into 2nd gear and get consistant on higher mileage. :D :D :D :D :D we'll be in virginny in about 85 miles.

good hikin' to all you 'core thruhiker dudes and dudettes! hey ospreyboya, you down in my home state of norf cackalacky! make sho' you git yerself some country ham and collards and some of them distilled corn squeezin's 'for you git too far up the trail! and let me know when you git back up here and i'll meet up with ya'll. ok? :D

I'm in Erwin, TN for a zero day to clean gear, resupply, and rest the feet (although this is a spread out town and I'm doing as much walking as I would on the trail). Got caught in a freak blizzard Saturday and Sunday, 6 to 8 inches of snow, temps in the 20's, and winds at 50mph. Six of us were stranded at Little Laurel Shelter about 20 miles out of Hot Springs for two days. Others that were higher up were worse off; They have more snow, higher winds, and sometimes shelters that weren't as good as Little Laurel. Some hikers had sent home their cold weather gear at Hot Springs. Had to hike through snow (sometimes 2ft drifts), slush, and mud for several days, but everyone seems to have made it!
Ran into Trailbiscuit and Danielle south of Clingman's Dome about a week and a half back. They were enjoying themselves. I think Darcy is out of Virginia by now and still "flying" up the trail. Dave and Michelle are probably pulling way ahead of me. I've been doing 20 mile days but a couple unplanned zero days have slowed me some.
Tomorrow it's off to Damascus, VA. Forecast is for several days of rain. Guess I can always stop in Roan Mt. to dry out.
Happy Hiking,
Don L

we're goin' slooooooooow,you'll catch us. we ain't in no hurry,jus enjoyin' the trail!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

If any of you need "help" when you get near and to CT, let me know.
I don't know how you plan things along the way.
You can PM me here if you need anything; laundry, shower, warm meal, keg, whatever, let me know.