Avalanche Lake?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People may have, but I wouldn't. See other thread regarding Flowed Lands.

We haven't really had Winter yet. It's a little colder now, but you have to look at the past. It's 1/3, but it's kind of equivalent to 12/3 in a normal year.

(Of course, I'm very conservative about ice crossing. Most of the time you can go around, so I only cross when I KNOW it's solid. The outcome of a failure is very severe, so I don't accept much risk.)

TCD

Hmm...
I was there a couple weeks before Xmas and even though it was frozen it was not that thick at all for crossing and I saw no marks of attempts- and after that weekend the weather had more warm spells with rain.

Go there, look for tracks (boot tracks), and just plan on an extra 45-60min in case you can't cross it... unless your goal is to cross it while frozen.

It's so wonderfully flat when it's frozen. Especially when your goal is to get to the Trap Dike. Our trip is on the 13th so one can only hope. Thanks Reekee

I thought I had seen some pictures from someone who had gone to the Trap Dike before the holidays on adkclimbs.com... but the site is not loading right now for me to check.

I was there last Thursday and was able to skirt around the edge slowly but I wouldn't call it safe. In some spots it was just a sloppy mess. I did get one leg wet up to the knee becuase it punched through on a quick step. My Gore-tex trail runners quickly filled up despite the gaiter; luckily it wasn't that cold out and it warmed back up quickly.

Trap Dike access...

A friend and I did the Trap Dike on New Years Eve. We crossed the lake coming and going, and had little difficulty, though punching through in a couple of spots - only sinking <1 inch into slush. We probably weighed 200lbs each w/ all our camping and climbing gear. It gets pretty cold up there at night...good luck!

The Dike

Was there water flowing in the upper section. Is the falls frozen yet? If you climbered the slide, can you tell me the conditions. Hey Cavewine, I live in Oswego. Have you been in the Jamesville cave?

Last edited: