Avery/W. Avery Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickers

Reaction score
Has anybody done Avery and W. Avery (Bigelow's) from E. Flagstaff Road?

Looks like a trail cuts into the AT from E. Flagstaff Road.

I know the AT crosses E. Flagstaff Road, that is not what I am looking at.

It looks like a side trail runs up to the AT, a more direct route to Avery Peak, a few miles past the AT crossing??? At least that's what it looks like on my Nat'l Geo maps. Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks - Cindy

The trail you are talking about is the old AT which last thing I knew was still maintained. It is definitely a more direct route but unfortunately misses out on the great views along the little bigelow ridge. It had a well defined parking area and trailhead on the east flagstaff road so shouldnt be hard to find. It is defitnitely shown on the Maine AT maps and most likely is on the Delorme road atlas. It makes a nice loop to go up this trail and down the new AT, but it requires a car or bike spot.

It is a good hike on a hot day as its quite shady and generally mossy.

You maybe looking at the stratton brook trail.I know thats a good trail,met some hikers when I was on Little Big last fall and they were going to go down that trail to a car they posted.The E Flag rd was in good shape.

By the way, just a general comment, The East Flagstaff road is a longgggg way around the mountain from the the Eustis side. Plan on bringiing a Delorme Atlas to find your way over there as the roads can get quite confusing.

If you havent seen it, the Appalachian Trail 2000 mile mark is painted in the road just a short distance north of the East Flagstaff road on Long Falls Dam road. May not look like much to many folks, but it is a special place for AT thruhikers (even though its location may not be accurate due to yearly relocations.

By the way, just a general comment, The East Flagstaff road is a longgggg way around the mountain from the the Eustis side. Plan on bringiing a Delorme Atlas to find your way over there as the roads can get quite confusing.

If you havent seen it, the Appalachian Trail 2000 mile mark is painted in the road just a short distance north of the East Flagstaff road on Long Falls Dam road. May not look like much to many folks, but it is a special place for AT thruhikers (even though its location may not be accurate due to yearly relocations.

Thanks Peakbagger. Thanks for the beta on the 2000 mile mark. I will be sure to get a picture of it if I go that route. :) I have a picture of the halfway marker in PA down around Pine Grove. :) Remember that one??

I have the Delorme Gazetteer for Maine as well as the Nat'l Geo Topo maps. I haven't decided on my route yet, just checking out all of the options.

MarkJ, I am aware of the Stratton Brook Trail and this is also an option.

Thanks for the info. :)

Cindy

Are you perhaps thinking of the Safford Brook Trail?

That one runs from the East Flagstaff Road (between the Bigelow Range and Flagstaff Lake, north side of the ridge) to the AT in the col between Avery Peak and Little Bigelow. It's a good way to get to the Avery summit fairly quickly, and it's a pretty walk.

yup, typo on my part.Also heard it was good lake side camping at the Round Barn area,free.