Awesome hiking trip in the American Southwest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
Montreal, Quebec; Avatar: ADK Lower range
I recently had the pleasure of taking my wife on another splendid outdoor adventure/hiking trip in the American Southwest. This trip was particularly interesting because of the wide variety of terrain on which we hiked. If you have a bit of time, you can check this web link where I post all of my photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/RandonneesetAlpinismeGBLL

The 11 most recent albums are all of this recent trip. Of particular interest are the albums for:

Sequoia Nat'l Park, Trail of the Sequoias
A wonderful hike among the worlds largest trees, up to 35 diameter and 300 feet tall.

Yosemite national Park, Upper Yosemite Falls
Superb hike up 2700 feet above North America's tallest waterfall

Death Valley, Mesquite Sand Dunes
A 5 km hike on the ridge of sand dunes (felt like being in the Sahara)

Death Valley, Badwater Basin
A wicked hike on the white salt flats 282 feet below sea level (unlike anything else, anywhere)

Grand Canyon, 6 day backpack (1st 3 albums)
As the title suggests, a 6 day remote backpack in the Grand Canyon. We had the Canyon 'almost' to ourselves for at least 3 days

I think you'll get a kick out of the photos from the Death Valley hikes. Most of us enjoy summiting a mountain. However, I truly recommend some of these hikes if you happen to visit the Southwest. Hiking in Sequoias national Park was definitely a favorite. Get away from the crowd and plunge deeper in the forest on the Trail of the Sequoias. A good 14 km later, you will have walked among the tallest or largest trees in the world. A small detour on Moro Rock close-by (a granite dome) will unveil awesome views of the valley below.

Death Valley. Wow. On a previous trip, I had summited Telescope Peak at 11049 feet. This time, just fun easy hikes in sand dunes (you have to try this) and the Badwater Salt Flats (go further than most tourists and go for a 3+ mile hike and you will find absolute solitude).

We were lucky to hike above Yosemite Falls when the falls were flowing hard (recent heavy rainstorm in the upper parts of the Park).

Grand Canyon: I won't elaborate since another member recently posted superb photos. If you plan a backpack, however, the 57 km trek we did starting at Hermit Trailhead and exiting at Bright Angel Trailhead (BAT) is down right superb. A late October hike will ensure a lot of solitude and cool temperatures. First timers in the Canyon may wish to opt for another wonderful 3-5 day backpack down the South Kaibab and out the BAT. Nothing wrong with this hike on well maintained trail, but don't expect to be alone.

Good morning, Audrey, ... an early bird.

I hope that you are aware that for any overnight stay in the Grand Canyon, that you have to apply for a permit and choose your intended campsites.

Visit the official Grand canyon website for details:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

You can apply up to 4 months before your intended stay. Do try and apply for your permit on the 1st of the month, as camping spots go fast. Apply via FAX, yes, fax!

The Canyon is a wonderful place, but it is a very rugged environment. Avoid, if possible, hiking in June, July and August, althought I have backpacked in August before.

First timers in the Canyon often opt for a backpack on the well maintained but steep South Kaibab Trail, stay-over at the river, and return via the Bright Angel Trail. Lengten your stay with day-hikes at the bottom (River Trail or Clear Creek Trail) as well as a stay half-way out at Indian Garden oasis (try day-hikes on the Tonto Platform East and West from Indian Garden.

The Tonto platform sees a lot less traffic.

Our backpack started at Hermit trailhead (a 7 mile free shuttle ride west of the Grand Canyon Village). First day, we hiked down about 3700 feet to the Hermit Creek campsite where you can filter water. Day 2, we left the tent in place and day-hiked 600 feet down to the river and had the beach all to ourselves. Wicked rapids. Stay away from the Colorado river. Easy hike down the Hermit Canyon.

Day 3, we loaded up and started our Tonto platform hike eastward. The platform is far from being flat. After a couple of hours, we went partially down huge Monument Creek canyon where we filtered 19 litres of water! None would be available for the next 2 days. I carried 13L and my wife carried 6. Heavy backpack. We hardly saw anybody all day (2 Canadian couples, go figure).

I had chosen secluded Cedar Spring as my campsite (we were all alone, and it split my days pretty evenly). Solitude. Days were 70-75 degrees, cooler at night (dark at 6:00 PM).

Day 4 was a long hike on the platform. Some very exposed areas just beside huge Salt Creek canyon (a 1000 sheer drop just 7-8 feet from the trail!). We arrived a bit tired at Horn Creek campsite (again, solitude), and nobody on the trail all day! Horn Creek water, when available is radio-active. Don't drink.

Day 5 was easy. Only 2.5 miles to the oasis of Indian Garden campsite where pumped water is available. We only had 1.5 litres left from our 19 litres.

We established camp (picnic tables and covered structure is available here). We day-hiked 3 miles return to a nice viwpoint (Plateau Point).

Day 6 was a 4.5 miles hike out via the well maintained but eroded Bright Angel Trail. It snowed at the rim, so it got progressively colder as we hiked higher.

A superb 6 day, 57 km backpack. You can do this in 3-5 days, but why? Spend time in the Canyon, and enjoy.

The 3 most recent albums on my Picasa website are of this backpack. captions are in French.

You will enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Very helpful. We've rafted through the GC and did many dayhikes, so I'm not unfamiliar with it. Also, our VFTT connection/canyon rat out there (Max) gets to attend to the administrative details, if he's willing.
I'll be looking at your route on my map. Thanks again.