Bad reaction to wick socks.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
The last several times my wife and I have hiked together, she has developed a rash several inches above her ankle. She believes that the rash is due to the rubbing of her boots, while I believe that it is caused by her wick socks. Since the rash is above the boot, I cannot see how the friction of her boot could have caused the rash so the only other culprit seems to be the socks. We both wear smart wool liners with rag wool socks. I just purchased some new liners from EMS, Fox River and Cool Max. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem. Has anyone here ever had a bad reaction to wick socks?

Yep--happens to me every time I hike. It's just something I've learned to live with and seems to have gotten a bit better over time. I've had it happen both with liners and without, but seems a bit better if I don't use liners (don't really need them with most socks these days).

The rash always goes away without any problem. If it irritated her, she might try a antibiotic ointment or aloe after the hike to help soothe the skin.

I know at least one other woman this happens to as well. Who knows what causes it!

MadRiver said:
The last several times my wife and I have hiked together, she has developed a rash several inches above her ankle. She believes that the rash is due to the rubbing of her boots, while I believe that it is caused by her wick socks. Since the rash is above the boot, I cannot see how the friction of her boot could have caused the rash so the only other culprit seems to be the socks. We both wear smart wool liners with rag wool socks. I just purchased some new liners from EMS, Fox River and Cool Max. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem. Has anyone here ever had a bad reaction to wick socks?

what is the rash like? One thing to consider that it may be an oportunistic fungal infection. The wicking socks may provide a perfect moist environment for the infection, not to wet not to dry. I can get this. Or it could be an allergic reaction to the wool.

Last edited:
rash

I get it too....I thought it was a heat rash. I bought some ankle hiking socks and that stopped it but the minute I wear my regular socks and it's warm out, I get it.

My wife used to get a rash, too. We assumed it was some sort of allergic reaction to the wool socks. But since the rash wasn't serious and went away within a day or two, we never really worried about it. However, after she switched last year to Smart Wool (she doesn't use a liner), no more rashes. Not sure why, but again we "assume" it was an allergic reaction to real wool.

I think i12climbup is on the right track. I am allergic to wool and can sympathize with the rashes. Pure wool is the worst for me so I need to be very careful with not only my socks but also base layers especially in the winter.
Try testing a few pairs as most wool socks only contain a percentage of wool with the balance being nylon, acrylic, and/or other synthetic fabrics, and look for some that have a lower percentage (I saw Merino Wool socks at Campmor that were only 65% wool and some Smartwool socks that were 82%).
The liners might help but some areas of skin may still be exposed higher on the ankle.
If none of them work and you still get rashes, try these Thorlos that I use (no wool but still great socks)
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=1913
Good luck,
Bill

re rash

I've tried several different kinds of socks from Smart Wool, Caphaline, Thorlos...I still get a rash....

Only had the problem once, and it was after I wore socks that had been washed in an overloaded washing machine with plenty of soap (too much?). Same smartwool socks I wear all the time. Since then, I've washed things in smaller loads with less detergent, and have had no problems. (But, that's only my theory). slam

I've only gotten an ankle rash once, that being on a recent trip on a very hot day that I ended up with very wet boots. Not a big deal, but I was scratching my ankles like a dog with fleas the next day. :(

I always wear the same footgear (synthetic sock liners inside out, Smart Wool socks, full leather boots). I was assuming it was the conditions that brought on what I'm assuming was heat rash.

I'm wondering if this happens to women more simply because we shave our legs -- some kind of razor bumps brought on by damp and friction?

OK, to further confuse everyone ....
.............. it appears I was missing one key piece of information ........
..... just got off the phone with my wife, I mentioned this thread, and she informed me that a certain lotion she used after shaving her legs would cause the rash ONLY when combined with the wearing of the wool socks. She seems to recall still using the lotion with Smart Wool, and STILL having the same problem. (she no longer uses that lotion) SO, maybe the problem is a combination of the former lotion and any kind of wool socks. Problem is, like I said, she no longer uses it and cannot remember the name.

Who knows? Maybe this rash is caused by moisturizing lotion and wool! :D

Is it me or is this topic becoming kinda humorous? It would be really funny if MadRiver's thread discovered some strange scientific anomaly. :D

By the way, when my wife remembers the name of the lotion, I'll be sure to post it. But maybe the name doesn't matter as much as one of the ingredients? Could be one similar substance found in most moisturizing lotions that causes a bio-chemical reaction. :eek:

i12climbup said:
My wife used to get a rash, too. We assumed it was some sort of allergic reaction to the wool socks. But since the rash wasn't serious and went away within a day or two, we never really worried about it. However, after she switched last year to Smart Wool (she doesn't use a liner), no more rashes. Not sure why, but again we "assume" it was an allergic reaction to real wool.
Just for the record, the Merino wool used in Smart Wool socks is "real wool" from real sheep. The Merino wool has a fine fiber which is much less itchy than the thicker fiber wools used in rag wool socks.

One thing to try would be a synthetic liner sock. Slamdog suggested left over detergent in the socks--perhaps better rinsing or a different detergent might also be worth trying.

Doug

I'm a strong believer in using sock liners - especially if you have a hard boot like new leather. When I first began mountain climbing at the age of 14, I hiked for a few weeks straight and came out with the deepest blisters on the inside of my heels. I still have scars from it now and it's been years. When I climbed the 46, I always used a synthetic sock liner and didn't get a single blister the whole time.

I would be surprised if the rash was from a lotion but that would only happen if there's already a sensitivity to it. Otherwise the lotion would help prevent any chafing. If it's an allergy to wool, I would suggest getting synthetic socks. They're found in most of the places where you get your hiking supplies. If you wanted to, an allergist could tell you if you're allergic. When I got tested for my allergy shots, I was really surprised to find out I had an allergy to down feathers.

DougPaul said:
Just for the record, the Merino wool used in Smart Wool socks is "real wool" from real sheep. The Merino wool has a fine fiber which is much less itchy than the thicker fiber wools used in rag wool socks.
Doug

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know that. We both switched to Smart Wool from old-fashioned heavier wool socks just on recommendation from one of the guys at Campmor. The selling point was getting rid of the terrible sock smells, but for some reason I thought that Smart Wool was synthetic. Well, as you can see from my last post, my wife's information about the lotion disproved (for her at least) that the socks made a difference with the rash. In her case, maybe it was just an allergic reaction to the lotion that was really only aggravated by the wool socks (regardless of type).

Since several of us here still get the rash even when we wear synthetic socks or liners, it seems unlikely that it's a wool issue. I think the lotion and/or detergent might be a factor. Maybe a second rinse for socks might help and forgo the lotion when hiking.

I'll have to try it meself.

Seeker said:
Since several of us here still get the rash even when we wear synthetic socks or liners, it seems unlikely that it's a wool issue. I think the lotion and/or detergent might be a factor. Maybe a second rinse for socks might help and forgo the lotion when hiking.

I'll have to try it meself.

Think about what is common to all of these people with rashes...The skin under the sock is damp due to the persperation, it is not wet because the excess persperation is being wicked away. This is an ideal environment for either a dermatophyte infection (ringworm or other types of tinea) or candida infections (yeast). The type of rash caused by these microbes could be raised, pustule, weeping, dry, scaly, itchy or painless. Do these people have rashes that pop up in pathces elsewhere on the body? This could be due to a hypersensativety to the yeast or fungus.

I just treated myself with an OTC antifungal and caledula ointment and it worked like a charm even when still wearing my merino wool wicking socks.

Thanks for the input. I will print out this thread and show it to my wife. It might be a combination of several factors that have been discussed that is causing the rash.

Puck said:
Think about what is common to all of these people with rashes...The skin under the sock is damp due to the persperation, it is not wet because the excess persperation is being wicked away. This is an ideal environment for either a dermatophyte infection (ringworm or other types of tinea) or candida infections (yeast). The type of rash caused by these microbes could be raised, pustule, weeping, dry, scaly, itchy or painless. Do these people have rashes that pop up in pathces elsewhere on the body? This could be due to a hypersensativety to the yeast or fungus.

I just treated myself with an OTC antifungal and caledula ointment and it worked like a charm even when still wearing my merino wool wicking socks.

Puck, you make a good point, but since the rash goes away in about a day, and I never have it anywhere else, it leads me to believe that it's a reaction rather than an infection. But I'll try your suggestion for applying ointment before hiking and see if it helps. Thanks!

MR, let us know how it goes for Ms. MR!

I've been wearing Ingenius Hikers it is a wool sock with an integrated lining. Fits weel and feels great! They are made by wigwam and are available at Campmor.

...Joe

Seeker said:
MR, let us know how it goes for Ms. MR!

We are heading up on Friday for a week and planning several hikes including Jefferson, so hopefully the new liners will eliminate the rash. I will let you know when we return.

My wife has used the Fox River liners that I bought at EMS for two hikes. One hike was about 10 miles and the other was for trail maintenance. In both cases, her rash did not appear during or after the hike. We are cautiously optimistic that this change in liner might be the answer to her rash.