Baldface Mountian Loop-overnight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
I'm planning a two day loop hike of the Baldfaces. Does anyone who's been there know if there are places for a two person tent between South and North Baldface? The guidebook describes some sheltered places. Would the ledges be suitable for a tent (like Pine Mtn.)? I know about S. Baldface Shelter, but wondering if there is a place to spend a night sort of more halfway.
Thanks.

I have camped out off the trail in the col between North and South Baldface. There are several flat, sandy spots. There's also a lot of ledge. It will be easy to find flat ledge, finding a flat clear spot with enough sand or dirt to sink some stakes (if you need them) will be more work. As I remember I was very close to the low point in the col, just before the scrambles up to North Baldface. This was actually one of my favorite spots to camp. You probably won't be able to find any water.

I have not camped in the area but hiked trails over there a few times...I liked Bicknell Ridge Trail (unless you are doing both Baldface branches) and remember saying to self, some good looking spots to camp...but I can not remember exactly where...plus you would have to ascend counter clockwise and descend the slabs towards the shelter...did it once and needed to sit down a few times to get down to the shelter...if you chose the northern route and got close to the ridge line, I think you'd have a good second day with more descending than climbing...but of course I know you will be researching this well!! hope weather co ops with you!!

Thanks Lefty E and bcborder. I think that's everything I wanted to know! Either the col or the ledges are fine with us and I don't mind carrying water for a couple of days. I had been looking at Bicknell Ridge rather than the full loop because it seems to have all the stars (i.e. good views) along the way. And it's a little shorter. We are bringing our kid (the one you met on Wambauk, Lefty E) so we need options. We'll start clockwise, possibly just head up to South Peak and back to the shelter, but if she seems strong on this given day, we may camp and do the rest of the loop day two. Still need a little more research and if you want to cross your fingers for good weather, that would be cool too. :)