Baldfaces (Classic Loop) - 7/31

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
It seems like the only reason I'm writing this trip report is that I tried passing this hot potato along (by saying that I was feeling 'depressed' yesterday) to Artex and Yam but now it seems like I've found the damn thing lying on the ground. :p So, here goes... the reason why I wanted to write the trip report is because I took my first hiking B&W pictures (shown starting here) and I liked them a bit so I figured I'd post them.

The Baldfaces certainly warrant a nice trip report though as they're spectacular. Particularly for the three of us (Yam, Artex, Dr. Wu) because this was our collective first trip into this area and while I had an idea of what we were info, I was quite surprised at just how impressive it turned out to be. For me, it was probably the closest thing to Crawford Path (my favorite trail in the NE, period) you'll find in The Whites -- only the elevation difference really was significant. But the above treeline walking and then the dips into the scrub and all those views and big rocks kept me amazed for quite sometime. The unique views to The Carter Range were quite stunning.

The details really can be the devil... we did basically a classic loop (except that we descended on the Slippery Brook Trail) that many VFTT'ers have done and those who haven't can easily read about in the guide book so I won't describe too much. I have to say -- this wasn't as difficult as I had expected. I really thought some of the ledges and stuff, both on ascent and decent, would be more tricky and slippery but they weren't. A few scrambles but this wasn't The Arrow Head or anything.

You do get a few miles of Alpine Zone Walking though, which probably makes this hike a classic. Since neither of us had done a hike here before we went with the loop of choice (w/ one minor variation) and walked around Eagle's Crag, the two Summits, Baldface Knob and the various humps and whatnot along the trail. We were quite taken back by the view towards Evan's Notch (which is quite tangled! I can't believe there's a road going through there), The aforementioned Carter Range, Caribou/Speckled Mountains, Maine in general, The Sandwich Range and the Presidentials (unfortunately in the clouds all day).

Speaking of weather, we were lucky enough to have what I call "great Crawford Path Weather" -- which is not too hot and with beautiful high clouds, not pure white or gray but striped and streaked with all different shades. It provides enough light to illuminate the surrounding peaks but softens the features which I finds makes it great for not just photographing but just relaxing and enjoying the views. These days, despite the cloud coverage, are usually dry enough that there isn't a shroud of haze obscuring the sights.

We spent a lot of time at the summits of North and South Baldface. We didn't see very many hikers this day so, I'd have to say that we mostly had them (summits) to ourselves. What a great time it is to be with friends in a place like this! I think Yam and Artex would agree that we had a great time. And it wasn't just the above tree line travel either -- the surrounding woods, particularly the lower elevations are beautiful and mostly open with lots of other 'trails' that look interesting to get up and follow. This is a great location, with less travel probably due to it's short stature (~3700') but every bit as enjoyable as anything else in the Whites.

Here are the pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/410276183AnKnLp

Check out Yam's too:
http://community.webshots.com/album/409638535qUUOFO

-Dr. Wu

I enjoyed reading your trip report...sounds like it was a great day. Nice pictures too....the black and white photos came out nice! :)

-MEB

Great report, Wu. I'm glad one of us lazy ba$tards finally got around to it. :D

Great hike, indeed. I really enjoyed the trails, especially the scrambles near the top. Those were a lot of fun. And the views were absolutely spectacular. It's kind of nice these peaks are sub-4ks and probably get overlooked as a result. For such splendor, it was amazing we saw the small handful of hikers that we did.

Oh yeah, and blueberries were out in full force on the summits! I probably literally ate hundreds of them, and didn't even put a dent in the supply. I've never seen so many in my life, and there were huge, plump ones to boot. Man, good eaten. I almost could have left my Snickers marathon bars at home.

I forgot to bring the memory card to my camera, so unfortunately, I don't have any pics. :mad: But thankfully Yam and Wu got some great ones.

Great TR! Definitely a big workout. With the low elevation start you get quite a climb! One of my favorite hikes, I love the ledges on South Baldface. I could spend a whole day just exploring them. :)

^MtnMike^

Nice report

Dr. Wu -

Great report (and great people to hike with!) :)
Love the pics...unruly Evans Notch looks like another place I need to get to.
Black & white rules!
Baldfaces look great...looking forward to hiking in Maine soon.

i really really really liked this hike. i've never been on such a long expanse of open summit before, it was beautiful.

thanks for writing the report, wu! i'll catch the next one. :)

yam said:
i really really really liked this hike. i've never been on such a long expanse of open summit before, it was beautiful.

thanks for writing the report, wu! i'll catch the next one. :)
Crawford Path = Soon. One of my favorites (actually, my favorite)... and I love to take people on that trail who have never been on it before!

-Dr. Wu

Very nice TR, thanks for sharing it. Keep up the black and white photography, it is often a very effective method of portraying mountain scenes, especially in the high-contrast environment of midday above treeline.
Quite a few years ago, South Baldface was actually my first overnight hike ever. My Boy Scout Troop and I hiked South Baldface (although only me and two other guys actually went all the way to the top) and camped at the shelter just below the slabs. We did the trip in about May, and I clearly remember topping out in about a foot and a half of leftover snow and stepping into a west wind on the very summit. The novelty of hiking in snow with shorts on was something, but really it was the first time I felt the rush of such exposure to the elements as I looked into an oncoming weahter front. Lot of other funny stuff happened on that trip, including leaky tents, dysfunctional siblings, a guy that cursed himself for bringing a boombox up the mountain on his back, and two guys who tried, just for the hell of it, to put chicken noodle soup through a First Need purifier. That trip infected me with the outdoor bug, and the condition appears to be permanent.

Patrick

If you like Baldface and Crawford Path ledges you will thik you have died and gone to heaven if and when you do the Traveller loop in BSP. It's over two miles of open ledges, all with prominence... :D

ps - why did Artex join the army...? :eek:

Last edited: