Bartlett's Carry: Upper to Middle Saranac

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe when buy my lightweight solo canoe. :cool: Did that route last May, but took 4 days.
Did it last year in a tandem canoe it took about 19 1/2 hours. Two weeks later 19 3/4 hours solo. Tandem started at 4:00, wished for an earlier start.

Solo trip started precisely at midnight under a rising moon. I'm very familiar with the route so a headlamp was not needed at all on the water (except briefly once when approached by a motorboat on 3rd Lake - I wanted to be seen). I planned it to arrive at Brown's Tract with enough early morning twilight to navigate the winding turns.

I must say that the nighttime part was by far the best part of the entire trip. Still, quiet, and alone on the water with just my thoughts.

Maybe when I buy my lightweight solo canoe. :cool: Did that route last May, but took 4 days.

I've been thinking about a solo canoe, even planted the seed into my wife's brain about getting a light used canoe because of my "new knee". Of course she is planting seeds into my head :rolleyes:

When will you guys be at Saranc Lake? My friends n I go in Aug for a week. Not sure which week yet but we will be camping on one of the islands n doing some local hiking as well.

Get a kayak Dave, Pongo has a big cockpit, easier on the knees sitting inside. Canoe means squatting on those shinny new replcements.

Last edited:
When will you guys be at Saranc Lake? My friends n I go in Aug for a week. Not sure which week yet but we will be camping on one of the islands n doing some local hiking as well.

Get a kayak Dave, Pongo has a big cockpit, easier on the knees sitting inside. Canoe means squatting on those shinny new replcements.

I have canoes and kayaks- each has its place. If you have a canoe that you can simply sit in (vs. kneel), it's vastly superior to a kayak for purposes of carrying gear and portaging between bodies of water. I used my sea kayak on the 77-mile Old Forge to Saranac route last year. It was OK for most of the way, but a couple of the carries were murder with a kayak on a cart. So much easier to carry a light pack, and a canoe overhead.

I have canoes and kayaks- each has its place. If you have a canoe that you can simply sit in (vs. kneel), it's vastly superior to a kayak for purposes of carrying gear and portaging between bodies of water. I used my sea kayak on the 77-mile Old Forge to Saranac route last year. It was OK for most of the way, but a couple of the carries were murder with a kayak on a cart. So much easier to carry a light pack, and a canoe overhead.

Right on! For this trip through the Saranac Lakes, I was thinking of using my 17 foot sea kayak (and I still might since the portaging isn't too bad this trip) but I am having second thoughts. The kayak is great on the open water but the canoe is always a better deal when it comes to portaging. Like you say Bob, portaging is a lot easier. I wish my canoe was a bit lighter but once it's on the shoulders, it's much better than any other method, I think. And investing in a deep-dish portage yoke, really made it easier on the traps too.

Canoe
Portage

(hope those links work...)

And even using the canoe on open water with a kayak paddle (even though it's against my purist nature;)), is actually pretty cool. The double bladed paddle makes it easier paddling against the wind on open stretches. Last year on Raquette Lake, we had a good headwind. With the canoe paddle, it would've been murder getting across that lake but with the kayak paddle it was almost as fun as being out on the Sound.

For sections we'll be doing on this trip, like between Middle and Lower Saranac, and into Weller Pond, and between Lower Saranac Lake and Oseetah Lake...well, that's just canoe territory if you ask me.

Very Excite!

Paul Ron...we plan on going in April.

Last edited:
ahh your such a show off, and who by the way took those pics?...;)

Paul Ron, we gotta get together since your in the city, the film festival is next week...Chris we forgot all about it....

Al B. I might try this short trip with a friend and go in a tandem canoe, why not? It's nice to try different types of boats...how wide is the river between middle and lower saranac? looks like a nice meandering section....i can't wait....if anyone on this thread is interested feel free to join us...

Al B. I might try this short trip with a friend and go in a tandem canoe, why not? It's nice to try different types of boats...how wide is the river between middle and lower saranac? looks like a nice meandering section....i can't wait....if anyone on this thread is interested feel free to join us...

The Saranac River between Mid & Lower winds through a marsh, and varies from maybe 10 to 20-feet wide and shallow above the lock, to a much wider deeper channel below. In April, you'll be able to operate the lock yourself. Let me know when you have a date set, since I'm invited to paddle in PA around that time, as well.

AB, it's looking like Wed April 20th - Sat April 23.....I know u gotta go somewhere that weekend, maybe u could make it for 1 nighter on Middle Saranac?

That's cutting it close to ice-out :eek:, but I'm available.

That's why chris takes the lead, he's the chopper of the group. I got a pic of him riding on top of the ice, which I knew how to post it...oh well, he also carries a large ax head for splitting wood so maybe that can be used....

I am going to try a paddle the next weekend or two to see how the hand will handle a paddle. Hopefully, those days in april will be available for me to take leave. I think half the clinic is gone in april :mad:

That's why chris takes the lead, he's the chopper of the group. I got a pic of him riding on top of the ice, which I knew how to post it...oh well, he also carries a large ax head for splitting wood so maybe that can be used....

Well, you'll have your choice of all the campsites there! :D

Hilarious!!! Sounds like a set of iron skid plates are in order!

Last year when we did Long Lake/Cold River, it was 4/17 and not a 'berg' of ice in site. I know every year is different but hopefully the water will be open...'specially on that inlet to Weller Pond.

And btw...I saw Saranac Pale Ale in cans ;). When in Rome... Talk about going light weight!

Last edited:
Cans are the way to go, maybe we can talk to Omagang and explain our situation, who knows maybe they'll name a beer after us!

Also looked for a smaller cast iron skillet, didn't really see any.

Carol, good to here, we can also set up the trip so that you and Jay can put in further up on RT 3 and skip the carry.

Just ordered ...I like this over the nrs 3.8 bill's bag

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...ct.jsp?productId=744820&WTz_l=RI;BC;IK-516238

Getting closer, I'm getting together with Chris, and our friend Ray tomorrow to go paddling on a river that is usually closed to paddlers and only open to fly fishing. Reason....we are going on an environmental river clean up trip with our paddle club. Will discuss some details about the upcoming trip....will keep you posted....again if you don't want to do the "carry" you can put in the southern part of middle saranac and join us for a day paddle or overnight(s)....hope it will be ice out soon...

Also looked for a smaller cast iron skillet, didn't really see any.
What size are you looking for ... and for how many people? Most outdoor sporting good stores carry a line of cast iron cookware but with new pans you need to "season" them well and then go through a ritual to keep them that way. Properly seasoned they are as effective as teflon but it is an art to keep them that way. I like them for several reasons, the quality of the meal prepared in one for example, but a practical consideration in camping is that they keep food warm longer, almost like having an extra stove. You can also find them at antique shops.

As for waterproof bags, I got a variety of sizes I keep in hatches, or even on deck for a longer paddle camp, but saw this in LL Bean's fishing catalogue (free shipping from now on) and thought it a very practical bag: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63689?feat=63689-GNqv&cat4=1193&parentCategory=&pi=1059173&attrValue_1=Olive&quantity=1

Thx Stan...

So it seems that I've proven to everyone that my "balance" need a little work. While on litter patrol on a beautiful river where no boats are allowed except for twice a year (clean up patrol) I successfully got back into the canoe after flipping it while trying to cut a branch that was blocking our way. :eek:

Glad I chose to wear my tight fitting wetsuit but the water entered my booties and I had "coldfeet" for the rest of the day. :( My paddling partner had his drysuit gear on so he was fine, he laughed it up and then walked through the stream and lifted the branch up so Indian Chris and his partner could paddle under it. :rolleyes: Wish they were ahead of us at that time.

By the end of the trip Chris's boat had a pile of bottles, beer cans, fyshing line, kids chair and other stuff piled inside. It was difficult to spot the garbage on the bottom of the river, stop and then scoop it up with telescopic net or the grabber thingy. I was very glad to help out with the clean up and next time I'll let someone else take the lead and wear my full length drysuit. Chris can you add the pics to this?

I did think about using some small dry bags inside a nylon fanny pack. Might be the easiest and least expensive. some of those fanny packs are $100.....maybe they have a small backpack dry bag and I can reverse it and carry on my chest?