Bay Area version of VFTT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluethroatedone

Reaction score
So Northeast has VFTT, Northwest has WTA....anyone know what the closest analog would be for the Bay Area, Sierras, Tahoe etc.

There's really nothing like it I'm aware of for the Bay Area (I'm in Tiburon, north of San Francisco).

We do have a small Yahoo group of Northern California hikers that we use for planning trips and keeping up with each other - but it's not a public BBS like this.

Here's a public one for the Sierra Nevada:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/

- Steve

I often use Climber Org and Summit Post although Summit Post is much broader than just the West. Climber.Org has lots of info on trail heads, GPS location info as well as trip reports. Their listserv will give you a flavor of what people are doing.

CA sites

I haven't seen one either. There are a few California people like Steve and me who post on www.backpacking.net, but we're scattered around (I'm in the LA area). Sounds like an opportunity for someone to put one together.

www.supertopo.com also has a forum and lists lots of climbing routes in CA and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Ok thanks everyone. As some of you might have guessed, my wife and I ran out of mountains in the northeast so moved out to SF a couple weeks back. :D I have 3 weeks to backpack in the sierras and then starting a new job...Let the fun begin....

If you are looking for somewhere to go, there's always the high country in Yosemite and the JMT. Friends of mine just got back from 10 days in Yosemite and had a great time. They hiked up from the Valley floor to Tuolumne Meadows and then did some of the trails up there. Yosemite is notorious for being crowded, but they said once they left the Valley, it wasn't crowded at all.