Bear containers are coming to ADKs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S.

I didn't mean my last post as a dig at anyone. I just meant that I think it's best to focus on the best possible solution, and follow through. :)

Re: My 2 cents

Artex said:
It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt in a bear encounter, and in turn, the repurcusions won't be good for the bears. Mandatory bear canisters seems like the best solution to me.

Nor do I think that the repercusions would be all that good for the humans. I seem to recall reading that the typical reaction for past events (like out west) is not just to kill a bunch of the bears in the area, but also to CLOSE the area to camping for a period of time (months to years) to "protect" us.

You think that there's complaining about the canisters , imagine the uproar that would happen when they started telling you "No Camping" at Marcy Dam, Lake Colden or JLB.

Think it can't happen, look at all the former L/Ts and designated sites that were removed or closed for a heck of a lot more benign reason than "someone got ate by a bear there" :rolleyes:

Re: Re: My 2 cents

mavs00 said:

I seem to recall reading that the typical reaction for past events (like out west) is not just to kill a bunch of the bears in the area, but also to CLOSE the area to camping for a period of time (months to years) to "protect" us.

You think that there's complaining about the canisters , imagine the uproar that would happen when they started telling you "No Camping" at Marcy Dam, Lake Colden or JLB.

I hadn't thought that far ahead. I imagine a lot of people would be ticked. It might be a good idea to start up a lean-to/tent campsite registration system if it came to that, like they do at Baxter State Park, for the rest of the High Peaks Region that would feel the squeeze. Just a muse.

"My question to you guys is: Of those of you who have lost food to the bears, how many of you carry those blasted containers around now? "

The times I've been in the High Peaks since I lost food in '00, I've had a canister, but in general I've decided to avoid the area as much as possible outside of winter. Just too many signs of overuse, I enjoy myself much more in the lesser used areas.

For the bear box/ bear bag thing, I was a big advocate of bear boxes as they seemed to be a simple solution (ignoring cost) when you have a designated campsite only area. A poster mentioned his dislike of infrastructure in the backwoods reminding me my own dislike for infrastructure. Bear cans it is. I never thought the trash issue with bear boxes was a reason to rule them out, after all trails, lean to's, trail heads and summits all attract attract trash. People will be slobs however they want to be slobs.

As for the enforcement issues. The DEC in the Colden area has begun to post Rangers at popular camp spots for education and enforcement, Feldspar had a junior(?) ranger posted there at least one weekend this past summer for this purpose. Friendly, helpful, non intrusive. Good idea, I think. From what I've seen so far the goal is not to ticket but inform and change behavior. I'm pretty impressed with the DEC in this regard.

Anyway, there are millions of acres of non bear can needed wilderness in the Adirondacks for those who have issues with the can or a rule.

Re: Re: Re: My 2 cents

Artex said:

I hadn't thought that far ahead. I imagine a lot of people would be ticked. It might be a good idea to start up a lean-to/tent campsite registration system if it came to that, like they do at Baxter State Park, for the rest of the High Peaks Region that would feel the squeeze. Just a muse.

It was really nice at Baxter to hike in and know that you had a lean-to to stay in, but it eliminates last minute trips. One of the things I enjoy with the Adirondacks is you can plan last minute trips. I don’t have to plan a trip a year in advance just so you have a place to stay.

Exactly. I love the last minute trips, or the last minute route changes. I don't know what I'm doing 3 days from now let alone 3 months or a year.

Plus, if weather turns at the last minute and looks really bad I'll possibly cancel an outing. In the same way, if it turns for the better after a bad forecast I'll hop in the car and take off.

S.

I never had a problem using bear bags but I figure it is best to stay one step ahead of the bears. I recently used a canister for the first time and I thought it was great. It fit nicely in my pack and was it was so easy to fill it up and toss it into the woods for the night. They also offer protection for the smaller varmints that can climb a bearbag rig and chew through the bag, leaving you with a nice hanging back of garbage.

I've never lost food to a bear. I try to avoid bear problem areas.

I remember at a L/T in Shenandoah they had a metal bear pole that looked like an umbrella, it was a great system and I think that would help a lot. If these things were placed at all well used designated sites, bear problems could be significantly reduced.

I still remember note in the trail log at the L/T that highlighted why bear canisters are a good idea:
"Camped last night at big meadows. Bear tore two holes in my tent, one to get in, another to get out. The only things I had in there were a sleeping bag and a book. He must have been really interested in that book."

Due to poor behaviors by humans, bears have learned to find food by sight. They don't need to smell it first, "if I found food in a tent before might as well search every tent I see."

I've started carrying a canister, and I like them. My problem is I tend to go in larger groups and these things are too small and very expensive. Here is a real nice unit, the bear keg. Not quite as large or light as the bearikade, but a lot lower price.

Tony

spaddock said:
If they make the cannisters mandatory, will they be mandatory in winter season as well?

S.

if you want, you can sleep with food in your tent in the winter. no bears; they're all doing their sleep thing.

*not that i advocate that, put in in your pack outside your tent*

But then, you'll have some who guess incorrectly as to when the bears have decided to start or stop their hibernation. Even then, bears sometimes wake from hibernation and roam.

MBresle said:

if you want, you can sleep with food in your tent in the winter. no bears; they're all doing their sleep thing.

*not that i advocate that, put in in your pack outside your tent*

Most of the time the bears are sleeping, but there are other critters that aren't.

I'm certainly no bear expert, but my understanding is that bears are not true hibernators, with a lower temperature and heart rate, unable to be aroused. Rather, they go into a state of dormancy in winter months. Some of their functions slow down, but they can and do move around in the winter months.

Normally, I'm opposed to more governmental regulations, but I think this may be a good one. I hunt a lot...specifically, bow hunt for deer. I've seen on many occassions that their sense of smell is absolutely amazing, and my understanding is that a bear is even better. That being the case, regardless of what method, or how high, you hang your food, they can find it (naturally, wind currents have to help them). Then it just becomes a matter of them deciphering the hanging method; and I thiink they've just about seen them all. I think that when food is hung and not gotten into by the bears it's more luck than skill. Eventually, you'll lose.