Bear Grylls Big Phony

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

Reaction score
Story making the rounds in the news, not suprising. In the several episodes I watched, I found some of the methods he used rather stange to say the least. In one, he jumps off a 30 ft. cliff into a Class IV river and recommends floating down to civilzation!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6913108.stm

I wouldn't say a big phony. Certainly he has more survival knowledge and is tougher than me. I do enjoy hhis shows and often wondered about the camera crew. Still if 90% of what he does is unaided, he is still a pretty tough dude.

The article only mentions his Hawaii show and I gather the one show where he makes a raft and floats off an island. Maybe we are jumping into conclusions about everything else but I only read two incidents... I agree with Rik, wouldn't call him exactly a big phony, but still agree with the past sentiment that has already been discussed here already.

Jay

I think I would still rather watch his show and pick up a few tricks and be entertained by a guy who was a member of the British special forces and climbed Everest twice than take advice whole heartedly from strangers on the internet who claim to be experts but spend most of their time as accountants in an office all week. Maybe it's just me, who knows? Just kinda sounds like the guy by the office water cooler who tells you about all the things done wrong on lasts night's surgery episode of ER..... I'm not a doctor, but this is how I woulda sliced him open!

king tut said:
I think I would still rather watch his show and pick up a few tricks and be entertained by a guy who was a member of the British special forces and climbed Everest twice than take advice whole heartedly from strangers on the internet who claim to be experts but spend most of their time as accountants in an office all week.
I thought of taking umbradge, then I changed the channel and found "The Simpson's", then "Survivor", then Flip this House". Dang, I hate it when your right!

I still like this show. I'm sure Bear has a 100 times better chance of surviving anywhere than me even if he did get a helping hand once in a while. I know I wouldn't be able to eat anything on his show...