Bearpen (34) and Kaaterskill (35) - 6/25/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennsy

Reaction score
NE Pennsylvania, Avatar: Index Rock on Katahd
Friday after work, I headed up to the Catskills and the Devil's Tombstone Campground, where I would spend Fri and Sat nights. I chatted with Gerry the ranger/caretaker for a while, and spent a few hours relaxing and reading by the fire. I was alone, but there were plenty of bugs to keep me company, so I didn't mind the heat coming from the fire.

Saturday morning, I was up early and headed towards Mosquito Point to do Bearpen. Last month I hiked Vly from Halcott Mt Rd with the intention of doing Bearpen as well, but a fast coming t-storm changed that plan. For this hike, I decided to start from the old Ski Run Rd on rt 2. For a "trailless" hike, this was about as easy as it gets. The first 4 miles follows a woods road and with only about 1600' of elevation gain, it was a nice stroll in the woods. It was supposed to be a scorcher, but the trail was mostly shaded, and combined with an early start, it was a comfortable hike.

Around 2.5 miles, I approached an intersection and a hunting cabin. I don't recall reading anything about a cabin, so I quickly got out my guide book. Hmmmm, no mention of a cabin, but they mention an intersection where I should swing to the left. A quick compass check told me that left was the correction direction, but I had some doubts if I was on the right path. Thankfully, 30 minutes later I emerged from the woods to the lookout where the old ski area used to be. I checked out the hazy views towards Hunter, and headed up into the forest to seek the summit. I never found a canister, but I think I read that there isn't one on Bearpen? Anyway, I took enough side trails and wandering around so I'm 99.9999% sure I was on the summit at one point.

It was a quick hike back down to the car, and I started to think about Kaaterskill. Woohoo, 34 down and only ONE to go!
I took a break and started driving towards Platte Clove. Starting from Platte Clove on the Long Path/snowmobile trail, the first 3 miles reminded me very much of the morning hike to Bearpen. For 3.5 miles or so to where the 2 trails split, it was a moderate 1100' climb. Again, a nice stroll in the woods.

The herd path that leaves the snowmobile trail for the final push to the summit was marked with a small cairn, well defined and easy to see. The path to the summit was easy to follow, but definately steeper than what I had been doing all day. The weather man was unfortunately right for once, and it was a real scorcher at that point. I was relieved to finally hit the summit because I was wearing down fast. I was pooped but quite excited that this was my 35th peak. The summit is wooded, and I thought about heading down the other side where there's supposed to be views, and than looping around the snowmobile trail. But I was low on water and energy, and I wanted the day to be a celebration, not a death march. Soooo, I did a quick victory dance and went back the same way, smiling all the way back to my car cheerfully greeting the other hikers I saw on the way.

When I got back to camp, I cleaned up and thought about dinner. It was hot, buggy, and I was tired, so I climbed in the car, drove to Phoenicia and had a nice dinner (and some Sam Adams) at Ricciardellas. It was a nice way to end a nice day.

Catskills down.... Whites next, with Carrigan planned as number 48 on July 16.

When I was looking west from the western lookout at Buck Ridge on the summit of Westkill on Thursday afternoon I saw the haze beginning to form to the west. All in my group agreed that the cool spectacular weather that I had to finish on Westkill with was not going to last much longer. So I left the Catskills and sorry to say left a vacuum for the heat and humidity to take over for the weekend. Congratulations.

I usually do Kaaterskill High Peak in reverse going up the south side on that unmaintained trail. It is very interesting with some nice ledges and cave shelter en route to the summit. I go down the north side and loop back using the snowmobile trail. Sometimes I throw in Huckleberry Point for good measure.

Pennsy said:
I never found a canister, but I think I read that there isn't one on Bearpen? Anyway, I took enough side trails and wandering around so I'm 99.9999% sure I was on the summit at one point.

I did the exact same thing my first time on Bearpen. There is in fact no canister, since as you noted, it's not really trailess. In fact I belive there is actually an official state trail now that approaches from the other (NW) side. Anyhow, a big congrats to you! Big week for new 35ers. Two nice peaks to finish on, and dinner in Phoenicia post-hike is of course a fine Catskill tradition.

Matt

Pennsy said:
I never found a canister, but I think I read that there isn't one on Bearpen? Anyway, I took enough side trails and wandering around so I'm 99.9999% sure I was on the summit at one point.
Bird and I did the same as you and mcoscar...lots of wandering around but nothing to be found! Hey, a BIG congrats to you Pennsy!! Hope to see you and Jamie out in NH in a few weeks for the finish out there!

No canister on Bearpen. The one on Vly has been vandalized (removed) a couple of times recently though, I gather it's been fixed now too.

Nice report, The first time I did Kaaterskill HP, I did it from the north, past the three waterfalls and Poet's Ledge but recently, did KHP the way you mentioned but we did go down via the southern herd path off the summit. Definitely, worth the return trip for the views from the south towards the Devil's Path. Excellent lunch spots, etc. Worth a return, in my opinion!.

The summit of Bearpen is open, there will be what looks like the top of a ski run facing north and if you scurry around in the bushes east of the ski run, you'll find immediately a rusting hulk of a truck that's been converted to pull a towline on it. The pulleys and dashboard of the truck are still intact but rusting away.

They'll also be a rocky dropoff to the west so the summit is fairly obvious! :)

Jay

Pennsy said:
Catskills down....

You may or may not care, but if you want to be an official member of the Catskill 3500 Club, you need to repeat 4 of the peaks in Winter (Panther, Black Head, Slide, and Balsam). They're all pretty easy, and the Club leads hikes to them each winter.

For details :

http://catskill3500club.org/

or

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3500club/

They also have a recognition for those who do all 35 in Winter, (and the previously mentioned 4 count), which I am planning to finish this coming Winter.

Tom - thanks for that info on the Winter peaks. I was not aware of that. I've done Slide, Panther, and Balsam in the winter. I've been on Blackhead twice, once in the snow, but it was in April. I'll have to get up there this winter and grab that son-of-a-gun. Until then, I reckon I'll be content with unofficial status, but it still feels nice knowing I was on top of all 35 of them. :)

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. Yes, the next time I do Kaaterskill, I'll be sure to take the scenic route. There will also be many repeats in the future because I really enjoy the Catskills. I've done Wittenberg/Cornell/Slide 5 times and it never gets old.

Head - I hope to see you and Bird for the big NH finish on Carrigan. If you come again bearing "gifts" like the last time, I will make certain I'm awake. However, I can't speak for "Rip Van Artex." :D

Congratulations!! The Catskills are great. I hope we'll see you at the 3500 Club dinner next year (usually in early April). When you do the last winter requirement and submit your tally sheet, you can receive your certificate at the dinner. Feel free to email me if you would like any additional information on the 3500 club.