Beating the winter doldrums

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
Mid March to Mid April are my least favorite times in Maine because I just want the winter to end. :p

Here is a pano pic of the Tetons from my summer trip to Wyoming:
409349374_674e4cf082_b.jpg

Post a pic that lifts your spirits

it was off the road on the way out of Jackson Hole towards the Yellowstone Park.

Brambor...

Fantastic Pano, and great composition. Is this HDR...It has a bit of a processed feel to it?...

Though I'm not sick of winter yet...I'll play along...one of my favorite thing about spring...soft greens!!!
IMG_3899rawe-vi.jpg

Thanks. No, not HDR. I haven't taken the effort to learn how to make one. Just plain old velvia and a graduated ND Filter.

Brambor said:
Thanks. No, not HDR. I haven't taken the effort to learn how to make one. Just plain old velvia and a graduated ND Filter.

Ahhhh film...Thanks for the response...it definately has that velvia look, but I forget that people still use that 'stuff'!!! Again, great comp!

Nartreb, I like the reflections on the water and how the color of the reflections on the top leads the eye to the moorhen. Cool shot!

Forestgnome, great moose shot. What kind of lens were you using (i.e. how close were you)?

I'll stick with the Grand Tetons theme and post a picture taken from Schwabacher Landing:

reflection.jpg

Thanks for sharing the shots--especially of the Jackson Hole area. I've got a first trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone planned for August. You've gotten me pysched for how beautiful it can be!

Halite said:
Thanks for sharing the shots--especially of the Jackson Hole area. I've got a first trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone planned for August. You've gotten me pysched for how beautiful it can be!
It's a gorgeous area! If you like taking pictures, I would definitely recommend sunrise from Scwabacher Landing in the Tetons. Not only is the light good for catching reflections, you have a good chance at seeing the beavers (assuming they are still there). Mormon Row is also a nice spot for sunrise. You've probably seen pictures from that vantage point -- they include the old cabins. Have a great trip!

I've been going through some shots from springs past and I'll get a few of them hosted and posted, but on GB in a new thread, since this forum really is for critique. Of course, we could critique images on this thread ;)

BTW, the moose shot was shot at around 100mm, cropped a little bit. I was about 30' away and I watched her for a long time. I think I should have cropped more from the right side of the image and/or less from the left side.

Happy Trails :)

wow. Cool shot. I might be going there in July. Want to spend a night donw in the Canyon. Any suggestions?

Grand Canyon

Thanks. But no idea, but I'll try to dig up some literature. I wanted to spend a night down there, but did not want to leave behind my wife, who's normally good hiking, but the canyon induced vertigo was too much for her. I'll go back again sometime, perhaps with my brothers, when I can go down to bottom of the canyon on a 3-4 day trip.

I know there is a bunk house off the main trail near the South Park center; I'm uncertain about the arrangements, reservations, etc. Bright Angel trail, below Indian Gardens, I think.

I went down the South Kaibab trail to the other side of O'Neil's Butte, as a 1/2 dayhike. Very easy I thought. Otherwise we did dayhikes up along the canyon wall in various spots.

I'll try to remember to dig up one of the more distant hikes from the main park center that was quieter, and more secluded/quieter, but developed, as it was on the end of a road - Shoshone Point. It had a great, vertigo-inducing slice of a trail that ended on a knob overhanging the canyon. My wife walked out there with me, and I then took her picture at that moment for her to remember her bravery. :)

I'll try to post more info here, although it might be afew days before I get back here.
Best,

---Mike

O'Neil's Butte
218893964_048d6251ce.jpg

Another view off South Kaibab Trail:
224869588_09856fe28b.jpg

Bright Angel Trail & Indian Gardens:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/91/238352301_c042b0d12f.jpg

Shoshone Point:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/75/224869349_bd894403e9_m.jpg

Photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hikesnh/sets/72157594241869870/

Last edited: