Belknap Mountain Information

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I were thinking of doing a small hike this weekend and have narrowed it down to Belknap since we haven't explored many mountains on that range except the obvious (Major).

Doing a few searches for info, I found that there's an old piper plane crash up there. Does anyone have any info on the trail down to the site? I've found some limited descriptions, saying it's steep and tough. Would anyone be able to give me a better description? Stuff like, is it easy to follow? Is it worth the hike down? Is the steepness extreme? I don't have any bushwhacking experience, nor do I want to get any on this trip, so just want to know what I'm getting myself (and my wife) into. Any detailed pdf trail maps you may be able to point me too would be helpful as well.

Also, does anyone know if the black flies have made it to the Belknap range? I would assume so since they have been near the seacoast for a couple weeks now.

Thanks very much for any information you may be able to provide.

Thanks,
Karl

I've never been down to the plane crash (they freak me out, so I can't help you with that, ).
I'm sure others will chime in, but it's marked on my map with a dotted line (rough trail) just off of Belknap as you head towards Gunstock.

I was on Piper and Belknap on 4/27 (last Sat) and it was beautiful! Piper trail was snow/ice free, as was the trail over to Belknap.............we took the Red trail
from Belknap down to the carriage road and there was still a good amount of ice on that trail (avoided it by going into the woods..............but it's been warm, maybe it has melted!!) If you continue on to Gunstock and head down that trail back to the carriage rd, it makes a great loop!! Carriage Rd was still gated as of 4/27. Have fun, so many great ledgy trails over that way! and no black flies last Saturday, but found 1 tick on one of the dogs.

It is a herd path off the blue trail that is steep, rocky, and poorly marked but only a little over .1 mi - if you can't find it or it's too rough for you, don't do it.

Crash coord N 43° 31.155 W 071° 22.056

The herd trail starts off on your right just below the tower as you descend. If you find yourself going very far down the blue trail you missed it. (I know, I missed it the first time I went through.) Trailwrightbratt mans the fire tower and he knows where it is so feel free to ask him. The herd trail is fairly steep but I didn't find it particularly difficult or dicey. Also, once on the trail I didn't find it all that difficult to follow. It's an awesome site. The pilot obviously flew straight into the side of the mountain and probably never knew what hit him.:eek: