Berkshires to the Cape Bridle Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I went to college in Williamstown, Massachusetts and graduated in 1964. In the basement of my fraternity house was a sign reading "Berkshires to the Cape Bridle Path" that I recall had carved letters on a rustic log or some similar piece of wood. I had evidently been "liberated" from it's original setting at some point in the past. I don't recall anyone who knew where it came from, but I assumed it was from some spot near the college. Another memory, even more remote, was there was another sign referencing either the state line, or the MA-NY-VT tri-point, but that may be a spurious memory. In any case there were (and are) a multitude of old woods roads up on the ridge near that point, so the bridle path may have gone up to that vicinity.

I thought about it then and occasionally through the following years how cool such a path would be. Especially now in the age of long hiking paths and biking paths. I never went further than the thinking stage, and in fact, I don't think I have mentioned it to anyone since leaving college.

For some reason I thought about it today. Now it is possible that I am the only person in the world with a living memory of an actual artifact of this trail, but I thought I'd throw the question out to this group.

I found a document which appears to be related to depression era WPA projects. The document, in PDF format, is located at: Progress report on state planning for Massachusetts. 1936 (1936)

An excerpt (on page 307) follows:

Riding

Bridle trails in Massachusetts consist of several local municipal
units, some few miles developed on the State Forests and Res-
ervations, a few miles developed by the Metropolitan District Commission
on their reservations and parkways, and the Berkshires to
the Cape Trail
, a through trail 450 miles in length.

The Berkshires to the Cape Trail is the first completed unit
in the proposed Massachusetts Bridle Trails System, sponsored by
the Massachusetts Forest and Park Association. It is the only
through bridle trail in the State, is well marked, and is so developed
that shelter for both horse and rider is available. The
trail was laid out to increase the recreation use of State forests
and reservations, to serve as an added attraction to tourists, to
increase the income of residents on the route through provision of
shelter accommodations, and lastly to increase the use of horses
for recreation.

Throughout the State, there are many miles of old wood roads
and minor back roads which might well serve as bridle paths. Excluding
these roads, there are over 500 miles of existing bridle
trails in Massachusetts, and a proposed network of many more miles
which will cover the entire State.

The Massachusetts Forest and Park Association is the principal
organization promoting interest in bridle trails. However,
there are 86 riding academies and many local outing clubs distributed
throughout the State, which also sponsor and promote interest
in riding. Many of these riding clubs are located on or near the
Berkshires-to-the-Cape Trail, and offer shelter to horse and rider.

It is fairly obvious that, at the present time, Massachusetts
has sufficient bridle trails or a State-wide character, and that
any additional facilities should be more local in character, to
provide riding facilities in and about the larger centers of population

I'd love to know if there are any remnants of this trail still in existence, or if there exists exists any map or route description of same. I'm a long time visitor to the Cape, and have certainly never heard or seen anything at that end. In fact it would be nice to know if that sign still exists, although it's doubtful. The fraternities we converted to eating clubs in the late 60s and I can't imagine there is anything like this left in that basement. If you happen to live in Williamstown, it was the Delta Phi house out on South Street.

Last edited:
I too was just looking into this trail! I'm a Cape Cod local. It seems the Cape portion of the trail ran along the ridge of the Cape. This is where they ended up putting the highway in the 1950s, so alas, there seems to be nothing left here. Curious if there's any parts elsewhere!

An interesting first post to an ancient but obscure topic. On very rare occasions, (last time posting back in January) the OP will pop up.

Good luck on your quest and welcome to VFTT

All I could find was this NYT article from 1937 that I can't access. FLIER PLOTS BRIDLE TRAIL; Woman Charting Route From Cape Cod to Berkshires Airplane flights over Western Massachusetts are being made by Mrs. Victor H. Wesson of Longmeadow, vice president of the Connecticut Valley Riding Association, to plot a route linking the Cape Cod Trail with the bridle paths of the Berkshires. (Mr. Victor H Wesson was a VP of S&W)

Here is the full text:

"FLIER PLOTS BRIDLE TRAIL
Woman Charting Route From
Cape Cod to Berkshlre•
Speciat to New Yonk TIMES.
LONGMEADOW, Mass., Jan. 23
—Airplane flights over Western
Massachusetts are being made by
Mrs. Victor H. Wesson or Long-
meadow, vice president of the
Connecticut Valley Riding Associa-
tion, to plot a route linking tho
Capo Cod Trail with the bridle
paths of the Berkshires.
The aim is to give horseback en-
thusiasts an opportunity to ride
across the State from Provincetown
to the mountains over 100 miles of
well-marked trails.
After the air survey Of paths and
dirt roads is completed, volunteer
riders, including students from
Smith, Mount Holyoke and Am—
herst Colleges, will choose and
mark the best route."

Fascinating history.
I can’t add any info on this trail, but horse owners and hikers share a lot of common concerns. My town of Westford, MA (unlikely to be anywhere near the Berkshires to the Cape Bridle Path) has a land trust founded in 1984 by locals who were alarmed at the rapidly disappearing opportunities for riding in the woods. Most of our Conservation Restrictions specifically allow passive recreation including horse riding. Today we have over 75 miles of trails, although you would hardly see any horses far from the two remaining horse farms. Ever been passed by a horse on a narrow trail? It’s a humbling experience.

Fascinating history.
I can’t add any info on this trail, but horse owners and hikers share a lot of common concerns. My town of Westford, MA (unlikely to be anywhere near the Berkshires to the Cape Bridle Path) has a land trust founded in 1984 by locals who were alarmed at the rapidly disappearing opportunities for riding in the woods. Most of our Conservation Restrictions specifically allow passive recreation including horse riding. Today we have over 75 miles of trails, although you would hardly see any horses far from the two remaining horse farms. Ever been passed by a horse on a narrow trail? It’s a humbling experience.

The Essex County Trails Association was founded around the same time for the same reason. Horse interactions are still super common, especially at Willowdale, Appleton, and Bradley Palmer. Unfortunately, our horse managed to catch EPM and I dont get to go out anymore unless I want to trailer the polo ponies over and deal with their obnoxious tack. If you're lucky you'll catch the Myopia fox hunt coming through with the hounds.