Berlin Fish Hatchery gate--open until 10 pm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I called the Berlin Fish Hatchery today just to double-check on gate closing hours. The nice man there told me that the gates are now open from 7 am until 10 pm, daily. So no worries, at least for now, on getting locked out on your Cabot hikes...phew!

Happy Trails

Fantastic news! I was unable to reach the Hatchery so this info is appreciated. Hoping to hike the Weeks on Mem Wknd.

Actually a friend of mine just called the hatchery on May 25 and they told her the gate is open this weekend from 8 - 4 PM only.

In any case, you can go over to a nearby building and ask to be let through.

There are also reports that the gate isn't actually locked--you can open it, pass, and close it behind you.

The is one of those issues that has been discussed many times... (The report of open til 10pm is new.) Search and ye shall find.

Doug

Last edited:
Well, not actually. Check the date it was posted here. :D
I didn't recall seeing it previously, so I guess it was new to me... :) (But since I have no plans to go there in the immediate future its not a big issue for me.)

But you're correct, given the posting date (and the more recent info) one shouldn't count on it.

Doug

When I originally looked I thought the post was May 22 2010. :eek:

In any case, I'll just make a point of keeping an eye on my hiking time and make sure I'm back before 4 PM

I had a couple of friends who were hiking Cabot and they called me in a panic - they were running late after having climbed Waumbek earlier in the day and were worried that the gate would be closed when they got down. The person I spoke to at the hatchery said that regardless of the time, they don't lock lock the gate if there are cars at the trailhead. They may close it but it isn't locked.

Has anyone ever been locked in? Heard of someone that has? In all the times this has come up, I've never heard of anyone being locked in.

Just curious ;)

Tim

Tim,

That's kind of what the guy that I talked said, without really saying it.

"Have we ever locked anyone in? Do you think we would ever do that to someone?"

FYI - I was thinking about a Cabot hike this weekend, so just called the Hatchery to get the latest on the gate... The nice gentleman that answered said that the gate is open from about 0700 until about 1600 but that if hikers request it either on the day of or ahead of time, they'll leave the gate latched but not locked. He also said that most weekends it is left unlocked because of the hiking traffic... BUT - it is usually locked (according to the Hatchery guy) at night - don't count on it being open unless you've checked in with them.