Best dog breeds for hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta big up Jack Russell (Parson Russell) Terriers. I have 2 (male/female) of them, and they've done almost all the Catskill 35's with me. Great hikers, never get too far off trail, don't require taking too much xtra water in summer, float on top of snow in winter, although they do require fleece for cold days, and best of all, can't wear them out. I've finished hikes nearly on all fours, with the terriers running circles around me. Never used to be a big fan of hiking alone, now with a couple of canine buds leading the way, it's my preferred method.

nickdu, I just replied to your PM.

As for the redbones and scent, this is true, BUT it really does depend on the the individual breeder and the how they have been breeding them. Mine, while does have a good nose, rarely heads off trail. She hangs around very well. In fact, we have an acre of land with about 20 acres of undeveloped by the house. She never strays beyond the yard unless with me.

My black lab spent more times roaming the woods then my redbone. Neither ever took off (although I did manage to "displace" my lab for about 9 hours during a thunderstorm one day...long story).

I would definantly not get a tracking dog that is bred for hunting. As for their hiking ability, she can go all day and what I found as the key is that because she is taller than my lab, and only 55 pounds, I can bend over to pick her up easily. My lab had more stamina for longer hikes. Therefore, there won't be sd many 4000'-ers completed by her.

I would definantly not get a tracking dog that is bred for hunting.

I think this is good advice for anyone considering any of the sporting breeds as a family companion and hiking partner. A lot of folks really don't understand how much energy a "field bred" dog needs to burn off.......good hunting dogs are bred to run all day in the field. My advice is to proceed with caution unless you have a couple of hours a day to exercise your dog or you're really going to use it for hunting. My lab is a so-called "show" bred dog and has tons of energy...loves to hike and swim.

Bonus is they love the water. Great to see them swimming etc.

Yep.........my lab wears my arm out retrieving dummies out of the water. Swimming is great cross training for labs too...easy on their joints ! :D

Last edited:
7intheflowers2004.jpg

Currently I don't own a dog, the guy in my avatar says no. However, I love dogs and have seen many of this breed on the trails. That being the case, I would say this is a good breed to bring on a hiking trip. I don't know what breed he is, maybe some dog experts on this board can help? A mix of German shepard perhaps?

:)

We had a Corgi and hiked with him a few times but after him not enjoying Flume and me not enjoying carrying and lifting him up the steep part, we decided he was better to stay at camp and wait for us but he usually did great. He just couldn't do really steep stuff.

We just got a Austrailian Shepherd / Lab mix and I've taken him out a couple of times. He is only a little baby which meant I had to carry the big lug alot!!!! I think he will be a good hiking dog once he gets older. I've decided he needs to stay at camp for a little bit too until he can walk on his own all the way...he's getting way too heavy for me to carry. Can't wait to take him out with us.

Like many other people have said, please consider rescue--whether through a shelter or breed rescue. There are so many amazing dogs that need forever homes!
That said, my girl is a 2 year old Border Collie mix who LOVES hiking and is amazingly intelligent. She's at her happiest out in the woods--especially in the winter. With her long coat she loves the snow, but we need to take it slow in the Summer heat and try to hike near water so she can take a dip and cool off.
Lucy, like most BC's, tends to have a really strong work ethic--and will work herself beyond exhaustion. She also has a very strong prey drive that often takes her running off-- chasing after anything that runs from her--not so great on the trail :(
Of course, before going off leash any dog should be VERY well trained and have an excellent recall.

Good Luck!

Brachycephalic Dogs

Avoid brachycephalic (pug-nosed) dogs if you're planning on exercising them in summer. Their compact airway makes them inefficient panters (coolers).Here's more info. It doesn't list all the brachycephalic dogs, though. Check with your vet. I also recommend getting a dog from a good shelter such as the Upper Valley Humane Society in Lebanon NH. They "fit" the dog well to the adopter and vice versa.