best dog for hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gamehiker said:
She is best described as a Mixed-Up Black and White fur ball with some Springer maybe some Beagle and some other breeds mixed in.
Although the breed guessing game is fun, once you're past the first generation of purebred cross, it is virtually impossible to do so with accuracy. Yes, a dog may appear to have certain characteristics, but the mix of genes is so diverse that it be due to other reasons.

Gamehiker said:
She looks a little like the sheep dog in the movie Babe.
That was a Border Collie.

After research for our trip to Newfoundland, we found that we would need proof of all shots. We had them at the ready...and neither border guard asked for them! But, be prepared to have them because they could, I suppose, prevent entry (or re-entry).

a vote for labs

Hi,
Since 1992, my wife and I have hiked in the Whites and in Acadia with four labs (not at the same time!). Because they get a lot of excericise normally, they have not had any problems doing many of the 4Ks. I should note that on hot days, we've tried to hike on trails with swimming opportunities. (Probably a good idea for any hiking dog.) For labradors (and no doubt many other non-hyper breeds), keeping them in shape is an important consideration; labs adapt very easily to be couch potatoes!

One thing we have found, is that dogs approach scrambles and slabs differently than my wife or I do. Our dog scooted right up the Holt Trail on Cardigan without pause, while we had to be a bit more cautious; on the other hand, our dogs have had some trouble with very narrow steep scrambles like the one coming off the south ridge of Penobscot in Acadia.

As far as places to stay, we've stayed with 1-3 dogs at the Mt. Madison Motel in Gorham and the Stonehurst Manor (a little pricey!) in North Conway.

Happy trials!

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
I would check with both the US & Canadien Customs offices to find out what is required to bring a dog into Canada as well as the US. I believe that the US Border Patrol is more interested in humans and illegal substances entering the US. This may seem obvious, but ... you're bringing a dog into TWO countries - first Canada and then the US when you return. It's one trip to you, but they may not be seen that way by the respective Customs officials in terms of your dog. Usually you need proof of vaccination, and certificates are the proof. But, do check with them, and DON'T assume that each country requires the same documentation.

Thanks for the info.

What about paws icing up? Is there a breed that is less susceptible to ice buildup? I have an English Setter that can hike more miles than I will ever be able, however he will get ice between his paws which will eventually lead to bleeding.

After experimenting with many different trimming methods on various Great Pyrenees, I found that none seemed to help. I've not tried trimming with any other dogs.

I haven't tried the wax.

A Collie breeder recommending spraying feet with a cooking oil. With Pyrs, that helped somewhat for an hour or two.

Booties are a sure-fire prevention method.

My method is to watch their feet for ice balls forming, then remove ice balls if removal is warranted. I try to inspect paws, toes, and nail beds at least every couple of hours on a winter hike. Ice balls are especially apt to form if the dog's feet get wet (e.g. walking through snow after a stream crossing).

Taking dogs to Canada

I checked with a friend of mine who took two dogs to Vancouver for a few months while she was working there and she didn't need anything-no one asked going either way. She said she had heard you needed shot records, but in her case, they didn't even ask about that. Probably depends on who is minding the gate when you cross.

Hiking Dogs in the Southwest

My sister's dog, Ruby, was a honey-colored Bull Terrier. They are short-haired and not good in the cold, but he loved hiking in the Southwest, where they live. He had a wonderful disposition and I last hiked with him on the Peralta Trail in the Superstitions this past Spring. That was his last hike and he lagged a bit coming down the trail, but he enjoyed it immensely. We realized he was too old to hike after that and he got sick this fall. I just got word that he passed away today. RIP, Ruby. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. Woof!
Ruby on Perlata Trail