Best Footwear for Fjording

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weight not an issue?

WalMart carries a selection of 18" tall muck boots for about $12. If you're going deeper I'd go with fishing hip-waders or chest-waders if you think you'll be over your thigh, but at that depth you run a serious risk of being swept away unless you're in a calm pool.

Cabela's has a set of waders for $29.99 and although it doesn't list the weight, I'm guess they must weigh at least 4-5 pounds and are not exactly the easiest thing to compress to a manageable size.

Don't really know of anything hiking specific other than goretex boots and gaiters. I have an idea in my head that requires two trash bags, some duct tape, and a pair of water shoes but I don't want to be the reason you get laughed out of the forest.

More like 1 foot deep

I should probably have worded it differently.

I meant to say those 1 foot deep stream crossings which were solidly iced over just 2-3 weeks ago, but are now maybe better off just wading thru instead of risking slipping on icy rocks or breaking thru ice & getting the regular boots soaked. Forecasted highs on Tu & Wed are in the 50's, after all.

I was thinking something like this, that might have decent traction on slippery rocks:

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=8000&cat=8000&cat=4500006_Men%27s+Footwear&cat=40003529&cat=4501263&hist=cat%2C4500006_Men%27s+Footwear%3AMen%27s+Footwear^cat%2C40003529%3ASandals+-+Men%27s^cat%2C4501263%3AWatersport+Sandals

Ahhh, yes watershoes. I have pair made by Salomon that I bought on clearance at EMS several years ago on a whim (hey for $20 why not?) and although I've not used them for stream crossings they would work just fine for that activity. The model I have are a lot more like sneakers and made of a stiff mesh, unlike the surfer-style stretchy water mocassins. Sierra Trading Post has them for $39.95 as we speak: Click HERE. Great all-around summer shoe for me as they breathe like nothing else.

Edit: My bad, I just noticed those are the women's model, but I left the link there for illustrative purposes. Sierra doesn't currently list the men's model. A google search shoes REI has the Techamphibian 2 for $90. You can probably find something similar for much less.

Last edited:
I use watershoes ($15-20 at Payless) when I don't mind getting my feet wet, but I really don't like the change from boots to watershoes and then back again after a river crossing.

What I like best are my NOES (available at Campmor), which are a lightweight (like 1 pound for both) and come up to just below my knee. The soles of mine are flat so I use Microspikes with them, but they come with a tread sole as an option. The NEOS have worked great in very rainy conditions (like the hurricane rain we had in Oct 2009) and are also great in snow for insulation and waterproofing. If the forecast calls for rain or it is raining, I hike wearing the NOES.

My high gaiters (EMS) also seem to work well if I cross deep water quickly. I usually attach them at the bottom pretty tightly and find that "running" across the stream (despite 1 foot depths) my feet don't get wet. This is a tricky maneuver and sets you up for a nasty surprise from tripping, slipping or stepping in deep holes. I prefer to have my NEOS.

I usually have an old pair of insoles in the bottom of my pack. Just stick the insoles in a pair of socks and WHAM -O instant water shoes. They take up little to no room and they are always in the pack. If weight and cost is an issue this works great.

I was thinking something like this, that might have decent traction on slippery rocks:

I've found that both Microspikes and Stableicers work quite well on slippery rocks.

The trash bag idea with Stableicers over them to protect from cuts on the bottom would probably work pretty well. I'd use large rubber bands rather than duct tape to hold up the sacks. For that matter a couple of shoe laces would probably also make a quick fix.

Last edited:
Ahhh, yes watershoes. I have pair made by Salomon that I bought on clearance at EMS several years ago on a whim (hey for $20 why not?) and although I've not used them for stream crossings they would work just fine for that activity. The model I have are a lot more like sneakers and made of a stiff mesh, unlike the surfer-style stretchy water mocassins. Sierra Trading Post has them for $39.95 as we speak: Click HERE. Great all-around summer shoe for me as they breathe like nothing else.

Edit: My bad, I just noticed those are the women's model, but I left the link there for illustrative purposes. Sierra doesn't currently list the men's model. A google search shoes REI has the Techamphibian 2 for $90. You can probably find something similar for much less.

I've used Salomon shoes for stream crossings as well, and they work very nicely. One was designed as a light hiking shoe, another specifically as a water shoe. Though I have both, the light hiking shoe (can't remember the model) worked beautifully both as a hiking shoe and for water crossings. In the past I owned a cheaper water shoe for canoeing, great for rocks. Sometimes I would use them on a hike with one known stream crossing, and stash them in the woods, making sure of a place where it would be unlikely they would be found (except by me on the return!).

I've always used sandals, but I haven't tried microspikes with sandals...anyone tried that? Old worn out trail runners are free (I've got a bunch of them), so if sandals aren't enough, and I need something to protect my foot a bit more, those will be the ticket.

(Like you, rhihn, I often stash them for the return trip (Walker Brook (adks) is a good example.)

In yesterday's ankle deep slush in Keene, bare feet worked OK for a few trips to the grill; but it hurt a little (baby version of the polar bear swim).

TCD