Best route for Adams / Jefferson?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Hoping to get out tomorrow for a dayhike of Jefferson & Adams... Considering the current conditions, anyone have a route recommendation? I was thinking Lowe's path etc... Anyone been up there lately to know the current snow conditions? Thanks J

Lowe's Path is generally the most broken out winter route to Adams...I think people get to Jefferson via The Grey Knob Trail and Edmand's Col...Jewell Trail is also an option for Jefferson

We had a similar discussion recently here .

I'd vote for Valley Way for less ice and less exposure, but others like Lowe's. Both are pretty good.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
We had a similar discussion recently here .

I'd vote for Valley Way for less ice and less exposure, but others like Lowe's. Both are pretty good.

-dave-

Thanks - I was hoping for more up to date conditions due to the snow from yesterday. Mostly wondering what trails might be packed out first...

Which trails are packed out on a Tuesday or Wednesday? if any the two Dave mentioned but I would not plan on anything being packed too much. I feel your pain as my Friday trip is likely to be spent breaking some trail up the Ammo. Some people like breaking trail, it's not me though....

another way maybe!!

dude! another way that is way fun but prolly longer (i don't have my map with me) is the castle trail (or whatever it's called) starting at bowman. the fun of it is going along the castles and then on the way down you can do the always fun "sitting glissade" (aka buttslide :eek: :D ). i did this route last february i think it was and had one of the best days in the mountains EVER!!! could be a plan! :) :) :)

The Castle trail goes up Jefferson via the Castilated Ridge, not Adams. It's a great winter hike, but it would require an extra peak, plus a trip through Edmands Col which can be extremely windy. It's also no broken out nearly as much as the others mentioned. But it is a great winter trip, and a fine way to climb Jefferson. The Castles are spectacular in winter.

The Bowman trailhead also is the start of the Israel Ridge trail, which is a possible route up Adams. But it isn't one of the first to be broken out and can present some route finding issues.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
The Castle trail goes up Jefferson via the Castilated Ridge, not Adams. It's a great winter hike, but it would require an extra peak, plus a trip through Edmands Col which can be extremely windy. It's also no broken out nearly as much as the others mentioned. But it is a great winter trip, and a fine way to climb Jefferson. The Castles are spectacular in winter.

The Bowman trailhead also is the start of the Israel Ridge trail, which is a possible route up Adams. But it isn't one of the first to be broken out and can present some route finding issues.

-dave-

uh, ok. just turn left once ya get to jefferson summit and go on over to adams and then turn around and come back to the castle trail and follow your tracks back down to your car. that's how i'd do it. or ya could go from adams down, say, lowe's, airline, etc etc etc and walk or hitch back to your whip from there. 2 peaks and one hell of a good trip!! wear your windbreaker!! :D ;)

Looked like he was trying to do both so a trip thru Edmands was the only way. Weather today does not seem too bad, hopefully he writes back.

My apologies to Bruno and the world in general. I got confused about the Adams/Madison thread and this one. Castle to Jefferson would indeed be one of the options, but not likely to be broken early. Having broken trail on that route it's a long day.

-dave-

Hi all
Turns out that I overestimated my abilities, once again! We left Lowe's store at 8:20 and ascended Lowe's path to Gray Knob trail over to Edmunds and up to the summit. Once in Edmunds, the Gulfside became indistinguishable so we picked our way up the cone. The weather was fantastic (including zero wind in Edmunds) right up until about 1/2 way up the cone and then a storm rolled in and pelted us with wind and ice. I seriously considered turning around but we were so close that we pushed on and made it . At that piont it was 1:00 and Adams was virtually out of the question. Lowe's was well packed out and on out return we broke out the Randolph path (a real nice trail, I might add) Thanks for all your input - I am psyched to have bagged this peak on my first shot!