Best route to Redfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
What is the better route to Redfield/Cliff? From the north(LOJ) or from the south (Tahawas). Both look about the same distance/altitude. What trail would be the most "interesting"?

Well, the Loj is about 400' higher than Tahawus, so there is alittle difference there, but not much over a long hike.

The Loj also has more facilities at the trailhead, and in terms of nearby restaurants, etc.

For "interesting", though, I think the Tahawus approach has more going for it: MacIntyre Furnace, Ghost Town, David C. Colden Memorial, Flowed Lands, Lake Colden, Bridge may be out across the Opalescent, etc.

Loj approach has Marcy Dam, Lake Arnold, and the floating/sinking bridge swamp section of trail, but overall I don't think it's as "interesting."

TCD

Well, the Loj is about 400' higher than Tahawus, so there is alittle difference there, but not much over a long hike.

The Loj also has more facilities at the trailhead, and in terms of nearby restaurants, etc.

For "interesting", though, I think the Tahawus approach has more going for it: MacIntyre Furnace, Ghost Town, David C. Colden Memorial, Flowed Lands, Lake Colden, Bridge may be out across the Opalescent, etc.

Loj approach has Marcy Dam, Lake Arnold, and the floating/sinking bridge swamp section of trail, but overall I don't think it's as "interesting."

TCD
Totally agree unless it's Winter. Then I'd vote for the Loj so you can walk over the lakes.

If you go from the Loj, you can do the loop and go through Avalanche Pass which is stunning.

If you go from Tahawus, you have a miserable walk up the "road" from Upper Works to Calamity on boulders and lots of mud. It's such a crappy trail you can never get a good cadence going. But that's just my opinion;).

If you go from Tahawus, you have a miserable walk up the "road" from Upper Works to Calamity on boulders and lots of mud. It's such a crappy trail you can never get a good cadence going. But that's just my opinion;).

You got that right T;)

Last year, my son and I did as TMax suggests here. Went past Lake Arnold in the morning and through Avalanche Pass in the afternoon. It was the first time I’d been in Avalanche Pass in the afternoon — that is, the first time when the sun was out — and the view across the lake is a lot better when the sun is not in your eyes.

6528_1101778025247_1250583159_30258093_1544467_n.jpg

If you go from the Loj, you can do the loop and go through Avalanche Pass which is stunning.

I've done Redfield and Cliff twice, both via the Calamity trail and I've vowed to never do that trail again. There are sections in the middle that are very nice and pleasant but then there are the other sections that are muddy, or that damn road through the clear cut area where your feet hurt and you just bake in the sun.

I've only gone over Lake Arnold (down the back side at least) in winter. But that trail is much nicer than the Calamity in my opinion.

This post has nothing to do with the best route.

Once you have sat for a while on the rock with the great views over to Allen and across to Skylight on your left I suggest you head downhill towards Allen for 5-10 minutes.

The Redfield slide terminates very close to the summit and offers some of the best views in the Dacks.

This pic was taken 30 vertical feet from the summit.

And this pic shows a bit of the upper and the lower slide plus the killer view over to Allen.

As always Neil.....great pics!
But, what the heck is a falcipennis canadensis????????

Avalanch pass wins out. I went through there 6 years ago doing the colden loop. I got back to the car and realized I had walked through avalanch pass and forgot to take my camera out for those beutiful shots.:mad:

Winter from South Meadows with skis, great to be in the middle of the lakes looking up, summer from tahawus, no crowds, no parking fee, lots to see, both get the Opal Trail, which is nice both up and down.
I don't remember the Calamity trail being that bad, but then again, I don't remember alot.